Chapter 34

Frigga had a smile on her face as she was standing in the centre of the court. She looked every bit of a proud mother. A tall blond guy was standing next to her, talking to the population surrounding them. It was clear to Hela that the man was Thor. The last time she had seen him, he was nothing but a babe at his mother's breast. He was already claiming her throne and it made her even more enraged just hearing his little speech. They had stolen her life from her and she would get her revenge.

Hela was driven by her rage. She pushed her way through the crowd not too gently but she didn't really care about those people. They could not stop her even if they tried to. Finally facing Thor, she could see that Frigga had recognised her straight away. It was written all over her face. She wasn't exactly happy about Hela showing up on the plaza but didn't seem to be overly surprised. The older queen didn't have time to say anything. Thor was the one in charge there.

"Who are you?" asked the thunderer petulantly.

Hela remained silent. Odin had not informed his beloved son about the existence of an older sister. Not surprising at all. Frigga was looking worried now, as she should have been. Hela would take a great amount of pleasure in shattering the other woman's little world. All the more reason to have the majority of the population present to hear all the gory details.

"I am Thor, son of Odin!"

The man was not patient nor diplomatic. Hela wasn't surprised. It ran in the family blood. She was already thinking that the little half brother was quite full of himself and annoying. A real son of Odin in all the bad sense of the expression but she wasn't about to tell him that. She would rather answer something that would irritate him. After all, that was what big sisters were for.

"Really? You don't look like him."

He frowned, clearly unhappy. Would he still want to be Odin's son if he knew the truth about his father? Probably. Borr had been a barbarian with a lot of blood on his hands, but Odin had made his father a hero of the Aesir anyway. It didn't matter all that much that he had murdered Asgardian citizens to ascend to the throne. Nobody was talking about that. It could cost them their lives. Thor would do just the same for his own father's legacy.

"I'm not a queen, or a monster... I'm the goddess of death! What were you the god of again?"

This was clearly a threat she was putting out there for everyone to see. Frigga, Thor and the population might not like her due to her past or because they didn't want her as their queen but they might as well start fearing her. She had years to prepare and even more to get back. Loneliness had been her constant companion. If they hated her, it would not change her life all that much. At the very least, she would have people around her, whether they wanted to be there or not.

Naturally, Thor's answer was to attack. What else could he possibly have done? He might have chosen another course of action if he had known the result. The hammer posed strictly no danger to her. In another lifetime, Agatha had taught to value any magical artefact a lot more than just a means to an end. Hela paused briefly before squeezing her hand, shattering the weapon completely in the process. There was no joy in that, but there was also no sadness. She was just past caring about those things.

Then, she heard someone calling her name. She recognised that voice. Hela had heard it often in her fantasies. She remembered the tone and intonations. Hela couldn't believe Agatha was actually there. Was it real?

It was more than enough to break her. Agatha couldn't possibly be here right now. It couldn't be possible. Either she had lost her mind totally or Odin was messing with her mind with even more cruelty than ever before. Her own father could be that vicious, convincing her that she has finally gotten everything she has always desired only to take it all away. Hela didn't want to give him that satisfaction, breaking down during his little play, but it was getting too much. She fell to her knees, sobbing.