Chapter 13 - Bai Lian's Continued Dilemma...

It is now early morning in the kingdom of spring. Countless residents idled about in their daily lives, covering the streets and filling the air with lively chatter.

This peacefulness however, did not apply to one of the many carriages that rushed down in a hurry to reach the mansion of the duke who ruled over this territory.

Within the carriage, a young man with wavy brown hair stared out the window nervously, occasionally taking a few glances at his superior sitting before him. This action isn't strange, but what's rather unusual is the fact that this boss is only a young teen who just began developing.

This teen has short midnight black hair, sharp brows, and thin lips. His heterochromia eyes are a strange blend of violet and gold, paired with slitted pupils. Those eyes, framed by slightly upturned lashes and a harsh frown made it hard for one to underestimate his young age. This teen noticed his subordinate's actions, his brows twitching in annoyance. Around his waist, what appeared to be a long black wire unwrapped itself and revealed its dagger like end. The sharp glint it showed instantly invoked fear within the young man, who quickly took upon a straight and proper posture.

Satisfied, the young teen's tail moved back to its original position as a belt.

The carriage is then doused in silence, making Keith feel rather apprehensive.

"C- Captain, about the report we received... do you really think it might be the work of demons?"

The teen looked up at Keith at this inquiry and replied:

"If I knew, would we still be on our way to investigate?"

The carriage is doused in silence once more...

Keith quickly turned away to stare out the window once more. With his expression out of his superior's sight, he winced in despair and screamed internally.

'Why am I out of everyone else stuck with the captain in this job!?'

Actually, this poor soul knew the answer deep in his mind. After all, out of all the squadrons of knights, the 5th squadron that's in charge with investigating and defending against demons is one that most knights would swerve away from. The reason is not because of their responsibilities but rather the captain that's heading the squad.

If you ask those knights, what's wrong with that captain? The reply would be: "Everything's wrong!"

This captain who is avoided by all the knights is Zyrius Astrelle, a half demon, as well as the youngest of the 4 hero candidates who protects the kingdom. Everyone is skeptical about his identity and age when he took the position, but they can't hold a candle against the King's authority. Who could blame the King for bestowing his status when Zyrius also has the identity of being the King's grandson?

It's just a pity that because of Zyrius's part demon bloodline, he cannot be recognized as a prince.

All the knights in the army are reluctant to follow the orders of a half demon, regarding it as a stain on their honor. What's more is that this is only a child who is still growing!

But other than these unavoidable reasons, Zyrius is also known for his temper. Perhaps it's because he can't fit in with the knights, being subjected to countless rumors and gossips, but the young captain is often moody and carries with him a frown and an intimidating aura. Adding on his slitted eyes and tail, he might as well be a pure blooded demon.

When Zyrius chose amongst his squad for someone to take along with him for this investigation, Keith tripped amongst the crowd of knights stepping away from attention, leading him to fall face first, landing before the cold boots of the young captain.

The piercing gaze that looked down upon him that time still sends shivers down Keith's spine...

Recalling those memories, Keith shook his head free of those thoughts, then pretend to not have seen his captain's questioning look.

Luckily, after spacing out for who knows how long, they have finally arrived at Duke Wisteria's manor!

.

.

.

Bai Lian woke.

When his eyes first adjusted, the first sight he sees is a large green formation covering him. He figured that the formation must be used for healing, since he felt less pain than he did when he first arrived in Flynn's body.

From his peripheral vision, a man in a white cloak caught his eye. That person sat back faced to him with a long green braid trailing down. Bai Lian scanned through Flynn's memories and recognized the other to be the House of Wisteria's personal doctor.

Bai Lian then moved his hands weakly, making a slight rustling sound on the sheet, attracting the other's attention.

The doctor turned, revealing a scholarly face half covered by oversized glasses.

"Young master Flynn?"

The air stayed silent for a few moment, yet the doctor waited patiently, only to hear a faint mumble from the boy's mouth.

"...I'm... still alive?" A few drops of tears formed and slid out of the boy's eyes. "What is this? It hurts... it hurts so much... why does it have to hurt so much?"

In actuality, most of Flynn's wounds are already treated. The doctor assumed that the pain he is feeling is caused by the trauma those wounds incurred, as well as the emotional pain.

So he sat by Flynn, comforting him with soft words.

But Flynn did not listen and continues sobbing. Then as if recalling something, he suddenly shot out of the bed, stumbling barefooted to the door... and trips.

"Young master!"

The doctor hurriedly helped Flynn back up, only to see the child refusing to budge.

"Doctor, where's father?"

"Duke Wisteria is with several knights examining last night's incident. I'm sure he'll be here soon, so please go back and rest."

"Last night? what happened? Was it not a dream?"

"Young Master, you must of had quite the shock. The duke will sure be here soon so please--"

'BOOM!'

Before the doctor finished his sentence, the door before them opened with a blast and a youth stepped in upon the pile of debris.

Zyrius's oversized coat, which draped around his shoulders like a cape fluttered wildly with the impact.

He held a long golden sword in one hand, glinting menacingly, exuding a powerful aura.

Keith quickly followed behind, screaming internally once more.

'Captain! how could you be so reckless!'

The duke, who followed close behind assumed that the knight captain found a suspicious individual. However, when he peered in through what remained from a door, he only saw the doctor and his son.

Just when he began to question the teen, Zyrius's sword swiftly rested upon Flynn's neck.

With a sharp glare from those slitted eyes, he spoke chillingly:

"You. What's your relationship with the demons."