Chapter 14 - A Blood Test

Before the sword could even put a scratch on Flynn, Duke Wisteria quickly parried it off with a quick swing of his own sword. The Master of this House is furious.

His youngest son had repeatedly gotten wounded and injured without even a second to recover. If he as a father allowed him to be harmed while in his presence, he won't be able to live up to his identity as a father figure. Clenching his fist, the duke made the most of his strong presence as he questioned:

"Squad captain, what's the meaning of this?"

Zyrius disregarded the pressure like it is air and threw the question back.

"That's what I should ask you, Duke. I could sense that this kid's core contains traces of dark element. It's common sense that this is only possible for demons, and those affiliated with them. The moment your kid fully becomes a demon is the moment where all your heads will fly off. Why don't you give me an explanation before that happens?"

"I definitely will, after you put down that sword."

The two stood off for a moment before Zyrius broke the silence first.

"There's no need for such animosity, Duke."

As the young captain said this, Bai Lian felt the chilling blade leave his neck and could finally relax his tense body. However, he knew that this was just the beginning of their confrontation and did not dare to let down his guard.

As he did so, he did not forget to squeeze a few drops of tears out of his eyes for the ?th time, the reddened edges of his clear eyes made him seem particularly innocent and pitiful.

While this image had no impact on Zyrius, Keith suddenly felt guilty despite that it wasn't him who was going to kill the boy. He stood beside Zyrius, whispering:

"Captain, I think you went too far. No matter what, you just don't go pointing swords at young children."

Zyrius ignored Keith's remark and continued his sentence:

"I simply wanted to subdue your son who could become a demon at anytime. As for any further actions..."

A pair of slitted eyes met Bai Lian's...

"Will depend on your son alone."

.

.

.

In reality, Zyrius's bloodline made him the only person in the entire human kingdom that is able to sense demons. Once he catches on to a demon's scent, he could easily subdue the suspect with his authority alone. However, even with his high accuracy in tracking down demons, there are still loopholes which many can take advantage of. Therefore, the suspects he captured will have the chance to prove their innocence by undergoing a blood test.

And this is the reason why Bai Lian is currently sitting in a dreary interrogation room with his hands and feet bound after being escorted to the Knight's Headquarters, with his all so frail body trembling against the cold metal chair below him. But no matter how many grievances he have, no one, not even the duke himself could go against the privileges Zyrius is bestowed with. Luckily, Bai Lian believes that he will get out of this unscathed. If the effects of the pill were so easily discovered, then how did the original Flynn escape all suspicions until the day he fully transformed?

Afterall, the original Flynn had to take the blood test at least every year like all other citizens. This was what limited the number of demon spies.

So when a knight reached for his hand in order to prick his finger, he fully cooperated.

Once a drop of blood fell on a parchment that the knight held below him, a complicated circular formation started to form above.

The formation which spun and shone soon emitted a blue and white glow.