Chapter 18 - His Savior

"Leave! I said Leave! Don't get close to me, don't touch me! You'll only make me die sooner. Or... is that your scheme?" The beautiful but frail woman on the bed screeched like a mad witch. Her bony hand reached out beside her to grab the porcelain vase and smashed it towards the young boy standing beside the door.

"Crash!"

The sound of the shattering vase resonated continuously within the little boy's mind. Cleary none of the broken pieces cut him, yet it felt as though his heart is bleeding. The child bit his lips, tears well up in his eyes.

He sobbed.

But no one is there to console him.

Not a single figure in this room gave him pitying glances.

Contempt, disgust, fear, annoyance.

These are the only emotions that can be perceived within these people's eyes.

"Poor madam, she clearly could have lived a great life after giving birth, yet the child just had to be cursed. To make matters worse, he always tries to cling to her, how persistent."

"Madam treats her people so well. She was so kind. So why was such a burden placed onto her?"

At this moment, Alois was able to see through his tears a large shadow before him; someone is behind him.

But before he turned, that person walked in through the the door, knocking into him and causing him to fall onto the shards on the floor.

He looked up, meeting the cold face of the empress.

Those chilling eyes of hers made Alois forget about the pain on his hands and knees.

"Leave, don't be an eyesore." The empress spoke with a commanding tone.

Alois knelt frozen in place due to powerlessness and fear. In the end, the empress nodded to a servant beside her who picked up Alois and left him outside the door.

Then shutting the heavy door in front of his face.

No matter how many times Alois had encountered this scenario, he still persists. Even if he keeps getting hurt or scowled at, he wish to speak to his mother.

Because...

He felt really lonely....

And in the end, none of his efforts paid off. While all his other siblings are guaranteed a happy life, he and his low talent in light magic could only get him so far.

His only compatible element is light, like his mother. However, the compatibility is only D rank. Barely enough to heal a small cut or provide a bit of warmth. His studies weren't great either, and his physical abilities are nothing impressive. His only notable aspects are his looks. But that too is downplayed because the color of his hair stands out more.

In spite of his circumstances, he did capture someone's attention with his looks:

A Marquis from the kingdom of winter who visited the capital city and caught sight of him. The sight of the boy sobbing with those pure golden eyes instantly ignited his desire. He knew that Alois is not favored in the castle so he secretly exchanged an A rank beast core with the royal family to have Alois married to him. But no matter how much the emperor and empress want to get rid of Alois, they could not marry off a child who had just turned 6, yet.... So they settled on a betrothal.

The two fed Alois with lies and deceit, trying to make the Marquis seem like a gentle individual who wants to take care of Alois well. But to the young prince who had been accustomed to seeing faces containing malicious intents, he could that tell that if he followed the man, his future would become even more of a nightmare.