Chapter 15 - Finally...Some Peace

Bai Lian's way back to the manor was not all peace and quiet after the ruckus...

Once he got in and sat upon the carriage seat, the duke began with his questioning. Luckily, Bai Lian is plenty prepared and felt a lot more at ease without the threat of death constantly upon him since he transmigrated.

"...Then I suddenly woke up to a strange man chocking me and barely managed to slip out of his grasp by kicking him ... between his legs ... Afterwards... I think father already knows. I smashed a lamp out the window to grab everyone's attention. Later when the man tried to finish me off, I forcibly expended all of my mana and then... fainted due to mana deficiency. As for why captain said I was a demon, I don't know. I really don't know. And why did that man want to kill me? I don't even know him, what's even the use of killing someone like me?"

"Father... does everyone hate me?"

The duke's gaze softened with this heartbreaking inquiry. He lightly grasped Flynn's hands and spoke tenderly:

"Flynn, you're a kind child. Don't mind the people who think of you badly, they are undeserving of your worries. You still have your family, and I'm sure your siblings care about you the same way, even when they don't admit it. Last night, your little sister bursted out of bed to be by your side, crying. Your brothers who are still out on a mission posted by the Adventurer's guild are clamoring to come back, promising to bring back precious herbs. No matter what happens, you have your family behind you, we all want you to be happy."

These heartfelt words and kind face throughly touched the deepest part of Bai Lian's mind, causing him to waver slightly behind his facade. However, he was quickly able to calm his breath and reply back:

"I understand, father. Also, there is something else I would like to say."

The duke listens attentively.

"When we get back, can the doctor inspect my core once more?" Flynn exposed a hopeful face. "I feel as though my mana core had undergone a change. The flow seems to be a lot more tranquil compared to before."

.

.

Back in the manor...

.

.

"The young master is right." said a certain green haired doctor. "The mana inside his body is no longer rampaging, and there are no signs of the flow going berserk any time soon. In fact, his core appears to be perfectly healthy!"

The Duke thought that the good news came too suddenly and felt a little skeptical.

"This problem existed for years yet it went away so suddenly? Is there an underlying problem?"

"The Duke mentioned that the young master expended all his mana in self defense when he was attacked last night. I believe this must be the answer. Cases like that of young master Flynn is extremely rare so there is no known treatment. However, there was a recorded case of a man who was born with a dormant core which suddenly awakened when he landed himself in a life threatening incident. Some bodies undergo dramatic changes when the person is in danger, the young master might just be an example of such a case. Of course, young master should get frequent checkups to ensure there are no further issues with his core. For now, there are no observed problems, so he could slowly start to utilize mana..."

.

.

.

And so Bai Lian is now standing outside the doctor's room, currently at a loss of what to do. After the duke was informed on some matters that needed to be resolved on, he was left alone staring out into the hallway. Before the duke left, he reminded Flynn to not leave the manor before his injuries completely recover, which, with the healing formation and potions will only take about a day. Bai Lian looked down at his half bandaged body, once again questioning the miracles of the world. It had only been a day, yet the poison in his body had been detoxified, and the bones healed. The remaining injuries are just the deep wounds on his shoulder and waist, which are also mostly healed.

With pain relieving ointment applied, those injuries will not affect Flynn's actions as long as he keeps to simple movements.

Bai Lian have no plans at this moment, so he merely enjoyed the calm of the day and explored the manor. Afterall, the memories he obtained from Flynn is limited. If he wants to fit in and help accomplish Flynn's last wishes, he needs to get accustomed to the ways of this world first.

He definitely cannot ask someone for information, as that will just invoke unnecessary suspicion. It would be best if he could find a library. In such a large manor, there should be one...

Just as the thought came to his mind, a large and exquisite double door caught his eye. 

Bai Lian quickened his steps to walk over, hesitating slightly before slowly pushing the door open.

A glamorous sight appeared before his eyes.

It really is the library he was looking for, but it was larger than he had expected.

The library, which is three stories tall is easily the largest room in the manor. Against the walls are  stairs built to allow easy access to the books. Above the library is a glass roof shaped like a dome, allowing the sunlight that is passing through to illuminate the numerous shelves of books.

Bai Lian stood motionless for a moment. Then he slowly walked into the room, not knowing where he should start. His steps sounded from one side of the room to another, his eyes quickly scanning across the book titles.

Then finally, a book caught his eye.

Basic History of the Human Empire

Bai Lian took out the book and continued his search, later picking out:

Map of the Known Lands
History of Magic

Then he sat down on a nearby seat by a window and began his reading.
.
.
.

In this world resides numerous races, with the most well known being:
Humans
Demons
Demi-humans
Merfolk
Elves (wind/earth)
Dwarves
Seraphs
(Listed by order of population size)

Many of these races are able to live in harmony due to each having a substantial amount of power and resources, as well as having a common enemy:

The demons, who are all born with the ability to use the dark element. This trait causes them to be naturally brutal, destructive, and competitive. Add on their large population that's 2nd only to the humans, no individual race would be able to put up a fight against such a powerful force.

It was only with unity that the demons were pushed back to their own territory, awaiting for the moment they can explode with momentum and wage war against the rest of the world once more.

.

.

.

The young boy who was immersed in the book suddenly had an inkling that someone is watching him. Bai Lian slowly put the book down and scanned the room, his attention drawn towards a certain bookshelf nearest to him.

He did not speak up, since he could guess who it is.

And as he had expected, a curious and immature face peeked out from behind the bookshelf.

The curious face suddenly changed to one of shock with a hint of shyness. She hid back behind the bookshelf once more.

Bai Lian stood up and gently walked over to imitate the girl's actions. 

He secretly stood by the side of the shelf, exposing his face to greet the little girl.

"Good afternoon, Adianne."