Chapter 1. Breakup

"Tita, I have chika! Mainit-init pa!"

Clark's a talker. On a random day, he would barge into my parent's lounge, shouting he has "chika" and Mum would be so invested in it kahit wala pang context.

Clark is my Kuya's not-so-best best friend. They're more like brothers with unresolved sibling rivalries who have no choice but to have each other's back. Hindi pa ako ipinanganganak, friend na siya ni Kuya, sila nina Leopold. They went to the same preparatory school, like what Tita Geth had told us when we were kids.

Kuya Ronie didn't like Clark the way he favored Leo, probably because the whole barkada of him always compared them to Clark as the favorite child of our parents. Kung papipiliin si Mum between Kuya and Clark, she will choose Clark and will ask Kuya to stay put once she needs him and Clark can't deliver—something like that.

It was a nice afternoon in May. The sun was enough to give people a sudden heat stroke and a good chance to go to the beach. But I was in my parents' house to stay for a while bago ako pumunta sa Rockwell.

Nasa pool area kami ni Mum. I was planning to swim, but I didn't want an unexpected tan today kaya nag-stay na lang ako sa chaise lounge katabi ni Mum. I wore a neon blue triangle-top swimsuit and a bikini of the same color under faded denim shorts.

Mum wore her floral satin robe and flip-flops. Mukhang walang balak mag-swimming gaya ko kahit nakapang-swimming naman kaming dalawa. She was enjoying her pineapple juice—a good source of fiber, as she would always say, to maintain her figure—and was reading a lifestyle magazine when Clark broke the serenity of the place in the middle of the afternoon.

"What is it?" Mum answered, and removed her sunglasses.

My gaze was following Clark. He's not as tall as Kuya. Nasa 5'11 lang yata siya. He grew a few of his stubbles to create a subtle rugged look, and it complements his sexy praline skin tone that I would definitely want to have. His almond and dark brown eyes perfectly matched his thick brows and aquiline nose. Clark has so many smiles, depending on the situation, and his canines were glaring with malice right now. I doubt na galing siya sa work kasi naka-V-neck lang na maluwag at khaki shorts. Naka-slip-ons nga lang din, parang galing sa bahay at sumugod lang dito out of the blue.

Clark sat where I was sitting. Napaurong tuloy ako para may puwesto siya. And damn, he smelled so good, amoy mint. Hindi niya 'to usual na pabango kaya sure na walang ibang pinuntahan 'to kasi hindi siya amoy annoying. Pati tuloy ako, naki-chika na rin sa kung ano na naman ang tea niya for today.

"Look!" Ipinakita pa niya ang phone niya kay Mum. Lumapit ako sa kanya at iniakbay ko ang left arm ko sa right shoulder niya habang nakikisilip sa ipinakikita niya kay Mum.

"What's that?" tanong ko.

"Kasal na kuya mo," sabi niya at lalapit sana kay Mum pero hinuli ko ang panga niya saka pinaharap sa akin.

"Kasal sino?"

"Kuya mo. Si Ronie." Itinulak niya ang noo ko kaya ko siya nabitiwan.

Kasal na si Kuya? Fuck!

Kanino 'yon ikakasal? I couldn't remember anyone from our circle.

"Who's this girl?" Mum asked, raising her eyebrow, showing Clark the photo of a hand with a wedding ring.

"Wala pa akong idea, Tita, pero aalamin ko," sagot ni Clark. "Wala siyang ibang dine-date recently. Last girl na naka-date niya, December pa 'yon at rejected siya."

Mum glared at her right, as if she was thinking something, but not surprised. Parang may hint na siya.

"Legit ba?" tanong ko kay Clark.