Chapter 10: Tear

Ang tahimik sa kotse. Mahaba ang traffic sa SLEX at doon pa talaga naisipan ni Clark na dumaan. Probably because doon din dumaan ang buong barkada niyang babalik sa Manila. Sina Kuya, two cars away from us. After SLEX, deretso sila sa Roxas Boulevard, kami sa Dasma, Makati.

Clark was humming a familiar song. Ni hindi niya binuksan ang music player ng Ford Ranger niya. He was tapping at the steering wheel and looked like he was enjoying the song he was humming.

I tried to follow his hum kasi parang buong song pa yata ang iha-hum niya.

"Through all the dudes that came by . . ." I sang with a low voice. "And all the nights that you cried. Girl, I was there right by your side . . ."

I saw myself singing in the middle of the traffic as he hummed.

"How could I tell you I loved you when you were so happy with some other guy?"

The car moved a little but it stopped after the car in front of us halted. Ang tagal sa tollway.

We finished the whole song and the traffic wasn't getting any better.

Clark hummed another song, and I stared outside the window and tried to follow what was happening around us.

The sun started to set, and the position of Clark's Ranger was perfect to see the sun hiding behind the sea from the gap between the houses beside us.

"You're a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter's night . . ." I sang again to follow Clark's humming. "And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might . . ."

I was a bit shocked when he sang the lyrics I was singing.

"And I can't fight this feeling anymore . . . I've forgotten what I started fighting for . . ."

He sang a bit relaxed, but I could still hear the lyrics from him.

"It's time to bring this ship into the shore and throw away the oars, forever . . ."

I was keeping my smile kasi bihira lang kumanta si Clark nang hindi siya nagkakalat. Or maybe, kapag ako ang kasama niya, hindi talaga siya nagkakalat. It looked like he was keeping his image of what he was like when I was a kid.

"And if I have to crawl upon the floor, come crashing through your door. Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore . . ."

Si Kuya Ronie, si Clark saka si Mat, mga singer naman sila ever since. Si Kuya, forced maging singer kasi barkada niya, mga kumakanta. Pero mas madalas sumayaw si Clark noong makabalik ako rito sa Pilipinas. More likely because Will is a dancer and a former PEP Squad member, Patrick likes to dance, and Calvin likes to do dirty dancing for so many reasons I couldn't grasp logically, but I could understand why once he started shaking his body. Si Kuya Ronie saka si Leo, napaka-KJ kaya taga-tawa lang sila, not unless lalasingin sila o babayaran sila nang malaki para lang gumiling.

At last, bumilis na rin ang pag-andar ng sasakyan after naming makalampas sa tollway.

I took my phone to check some texts or chats or updates, but I forgot, two months na pala akong single. May text nga, but it came from one of my clients, asking kung tapos na ba ang suit niya. Well, it was already done, assistant ko na ang bahalang mag-asikaso sa kanya. May chat, but it was Tonette, telling me to check his newly-bought Dior handbag. I just sent a GIF of a heart and go offline.

Along the way, I could see the billboard with my face and the product my own company was selling.

The whole billboard was pink and I was holding an anti-aging cream. Nakasuot ako ng white tube and naka-messy bun ang hair ko with a little strands resting beside my cheeks. May name ko pa at signature under it. The whole ad was nice, pero kitang-kita ang SFX ng image to the point na kapag tumabi ako sa billboard sa kaparehong viewpoint, ang layo na ng mukha ko sa nasa billboard.