|05| • Everest

Did I look desperate? I hoped not.

Already down the street, with a tightened grip on the steering wheel, I realized there was no way of reaching her. I wanted to talk to her again, even if I wouldn't be able to see her. Seeing as it was a one-way street, I parked close to a small coffee shop, got out of the car and ran back to the pastry shop. As I ran, I couldn't help but laugh at myself, I hardly knew this girl yet I was sacrificing my ego for her.

On getting to the shop, I was nearly out of breath, my shoulders aching a bit. From afar, I saw that she was now seated, the Darrick of a boy stood with his arms crossed. I had only gone in the first place because she'd told me he would be back soon. Also, I didn't want to get smart with him and end up making her uncomfortable.

I didn't realize I had called her name until I saw her small stature jump off the chair, her face holding concern at my heavy breathing. Was I so unfit? No, it was just the nerves. I wasn't even sure what to say, so I gave a small smile, looking down at her.

"May I please have your number?"

She seemed taken aback by this, her front teeth going to trap her plump bottom lips. I noticed she did this often. It was quite attractive, especially as she stared at me from underneath her eyelashes. Narrowing my eyes, I cleared my throat at the thoughts that crossed my head. Amelia nodded, fumbling with her bag, she withdrew her phone, handing it over to me. Oh?

"You don't just--" Darrick started but didn't finish his words. Instead, he just sighed, rolling his eyes. "Nevermind." I wasn't so sure about the relationship between them, but the boy had been nothing short of territorial over the oblivious girl. The girl who was currently paying him no attention, just fondled with her fingers, waiting for me to take her number or store mine. I wasn't sure, so I did both.

Carefully, I handed it back to her. "Thanks, sweetheart." I liked the way her eyes lit up when I called her that, it seemed like she didn't mind, so I intentionally added it to the end of my sentence. "So...Uhm, you'll call me?" She sounded unsure, her voice raising a pitch higher.

I chuckled.

Remembering where I parked my car, a sense of urgency washed over me. I didn't want them to tow my car. "I definitely will." With that, I bided her goodbye, speedwalking out of the shop. A triumphant smile crossed my lips.

The drive back home was a calm one, instead of the taunting thoughts of guilt, I felt more at peace. Cheesing to myself, I turned the steering to the right, exiting the street. Amelia. A chuckle left my lips as I went over what happened. I didn't make her uncomfortable, I was glad, to say the least.

Her friend -- Darrick was right, I was over a decade older than her, and she had just turned twenty. The thought made my stomach turn. I mean, she was an adult, yet she was quite young. At least for me to feel this way about her. Taking in a deep breath, I avert my mind from it. There was nothing wrong with a harmless friendship. Right.

The first thing I saw when driving into my neighbourhood was a brown-haired boy kissing a girl in the park. Chuckling at the two, I begin to drive away. That was until I caught a glimpse of red hair blowing in the wind. Smashing my brakes, the tyres screeched as they scraped the ground, the car galloping to a stop. Red hair?

Quietly, I closed the door, walking closer to the park. It was indeed ginger curls that blew in the wind, the boy cupping her cheeks affectionately. My fist tightened. "That you, Saff?" The way the girl stiffened answered the question. Slowly, I watched as Saffron cowered at his back.

"Big brother? Are you back so soon?" My eyebrows creased.

So this was the boy? What was his name again...something that had to do with water. The boy cleared his throat, walking forwards while nervously itching his neck. "Hey man, I'm Rivers." Right, Rivers. Looking down at the hand he offered me, I almost snort.

Seeing him exchange saliva with my baby sister, the first thing I wanted to do did not involve shaking his hands, his face was preferable. Understanding my glare, Saffron came between us. Was this some sick form of deja vu? "Remember Rivers, big brother?" She chuckled between gritted teeth. I vividly remembered what I said I'd do if I ever met him. My hands sure were itching to lay a punch or two before getting to know him.

"The boy you like?" I decide on saying, making her gasp. "Everest!" She looked so flustered, that it made me grin. The Rivers boy chuckled, gazing over at my sister. "There's no need to be so shy, you're my girlfriend now, remember?"

I arched an eyebrow.

"Oh?"

She gasped, shoving his chest. "He doesn't know that yet." Grimacing, I watched as the boy smiled at her, a soft look on his face. Saffron was just seventeen. Although I wasn't thrilled about the fact of her dating, I couldn't tell her not to. Sub-consciously, I feel my jaw clench. "Since when?" My question was directed at Rivers.

"Today..." Saffron answered with swollen cheeks. Wouldn't Pa love to hear that his precious stepdaughter has a boy now? Smirking at the thought, I fold my arms.

"Rivers, right?"

"Yes sir." I cringe at the title, I was only used to that on the field. "It's Everest." Saffron smiled hopefully at this. If she liked him, then who was I to deny her of that? Putting out my hand, I say "Nice to finally meet you." River's eyes widened, nodding his head as he took my hand in a firm shake.

"I'd have punched you for kissing my baby sister, but I'm in a good mood today."

I admitted, turning to head back into the car, "Everest!" I heard Saffron scold, her voice filled with embarrassment and disbelief. "You better get home before it gets dark." With that, I was off to our family house. Even if I had enough to move into my own house, I didn't see the need to. I may be recalled to go back to the battleground. Sooner or later.

Climbing down from my car, I went in to greet Pa and his wife, Saffron's mother. Like Saffron, she had ginger hair, but hers were shorter, it a low cut. A permanent smile line wrinkled the upper of her lips. They were together in the living room, while 5th daughter was sucking some kid's mouth. Rolling my eyes, I climbed the stairs into my room. With a groan, I slumped on the bed.

I needed to find something to do, day in, and day out, I did nothing extraordinary. Although I couldn't keep a permanent job since I was in the army, I needed something to keep me busy. Closing my eyes, I make a mental note to look for a job later on. The last thing I remember is Amelia's kind smile before I drift off to sleep.