|14| • Amelia

Crud!

Why did my tears escape? All I did was blink and it came exposing how horrible I felt about him leaving. Seeing him here made my chest tighten, wait...if he did leave intentionally, why did he come back? I didn't understand anything, I was simply in shock. My cheeks heated in embarrassment, goodness, I wanted to take to the hills (which were upstairs to my room). Perhaps lock my door and scream into my pillow. How embarrassing!

"Amelia." Everest's words had concern dripping in them, the worry across his face needed no explanation. This made me think that he had one to give to me, on why he lied...okay, he went back on his words. He seemed flustered, but he still looked mighty fine in his outfit. Wait, forget I said that, okay?

Trying to sniffle my tears away, I ran the back of my hands across my eyes, smudging the tears over my face. Everest's eyebrow scrunched up, his lips downwards. He probably thought I was some baby crying without reason: Amelia, you silly girl.

Abel backed away, crossing his arms over his chest. "Everest. You're the guy that stood her up?" I cringed at his blatant question. That seemed intentional, I had a teeny bit of hope that his actions weren't as intentional. Everest sighed, running a hand over his face. "It wasn't on purpose. There was an emergency and—"

"And what? You couldn't leave a message?" Abel snapped back, an accusing eyebrow raised his way. I shuffled closer towards the pair, the hostile aura thick in the air. Even if I wanted to hear the reason as well, Abel was giving him a stern look, not to talk of his glare. It made even me shiver, and I was his sister! Everest pursed his lips, tugging on his hair. I noticed it was rough, it'd be nice to run my hands through it to arrange it back in place. I blush, shaking my head.

"Abel."

He didn't have it, he stood still and acted as a barricade between us.

"I wanted to, but...look man, I have no excuse. I just...can I please explain to you, Amelia?" He turned to face me, his iris boring into mine. I had to admit, it was a pretty bold move turning to me while he was speaking to Abel, I knew how intimidating my brother could be. Speaking of him, he still had his hands crossed, a conflicted look on his face. Pursing my lips, I shuffle into the spot he had me in with his eyes; too nervous to answer.

Everest gazed expectantly for my reply. He wanted to explain to me, so why so I so nervous to give him a chance?

"I...um..." I stumbled on my words, heat assaulting my cheeks. "I do want to hear you out." It was a sincere confession, and Everest's eyes lit up as I said this; a breath of relief left his lips and a hum Abel's. The latter shrugged his shoulders, quietly stepping away from the both of us. I knew that no matter what, Abel would respect my decision. "Alright." He muttered, waving his hands and walking up the stairs.

It was just the two of us now.

"Amelia." I like how gently he calls my name, it makes me feel as though I'm floating on clouds. Nudging my head up, I hum at his words, still fumbling with my thumb. "Hi, Everest." My tone didn't match his, I sounded sad. Well, I was a few hours ago so there was that. Everest sighed, running his fingers through his hair. 

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry."

My chest whined to hug him, but I stayed grounded, folding my arms so he continued while taking steps towards me. "I'm sorry that I said one thing and did the other. I'm sorry I didn't give you a heads-up." He continued, picking at his words cautiously until he was right in front of me. With my eyes wide, I watched him (probably looking like a deer in headlights). "I...I have this friend who I met in the army. His name is Gabe."

In the army, I was right! He was in the army!

"Uhm, Everest?" Even though I didn't want to interject, I also didn't want him to feel awkward, standing in front of me like that. He hummed gently, slightly arching his head. "Do you...want to sit on the couch? I mean, if it's okay. I just don't want it looking--"