|44| • Amelia

Preston drove me home, much to my disagreement.

He said he wouldn't help me take the bus back, something about him being a good friend. To be honest, I was grateful. The strength to wait on the bus stop wasn't in me today. After crying like a big baby in front of Binta, I was drained.

"You know, every time I drive you, you're sad, or at lease experiencing the aftermath of it." Preston chirped in after a moment of silence. He gave me a sideway glance before taking a turn on the right. I knew he was an observant one, the incident of the brownie probably still in mind.

Staring at the clean dark brown fur covering the dashboard, my mind went back o all the times there was a misunderstanding between us — Everest and I. Was it more than an average couple? I mean, we had only been dating for a week or slightly more yet this was our second misunderstanding.

It sucked.

Chewing on my lips, I tried to force a smile at Preston but it didn't come. What did he want me to do? Deny the fact that his observant eyes were taking it all in? Giving up, I nodded. "You're right." Was my below the breath mutter.

"I don't want to pry, Sunshine. But do you think he's worth the tears?" His question made me flinch internally. Perhaps it was simply weird hearing all those thoughts I didn't dare to think he poured out in the air. Was Everest worth all this fuss?

A huge breath left my lips. "It's funny, because most of the time I'm the one jumping into conclusion, or overreacting. But this time, he's the one...he's the one who messed up. I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed."

Preston narrowed his eyes at me, pursing his lips.

"But do you think he's worth it?" Oh, right. I did t answer his first question.

Turning over to him, I nodded affirmative. Fight we're normal, right? Besides, it all worked out in the end. But dear oh dear did I hate how soundly my heart reacted at any slight inconvenience between us. It was like I was so attached to him, whenever he was happy, I was even more excited. When he was anxious, or frustrated, my heart ached.

I loved him.

And it scared me.

What if he decided I wasn't the one? If he one day woke up and declared our relationship over? Would my heart really be able to take it? My stomach churned at the thought. Everest said he loved me...but he loved Florescent too and look how they ended up.

"You're scared to admit it, aren't you?" Preston spoke the words right out of my tongue. Sadly, I nodded. Why was he so keen on reading me like a book today? Of course I was scared to admit how much he meant to me. I hadn't experienced this...ever! Taking a deep, exaggerated breath, I sunk into the chair, hoping it was just swallow me.

"I wonder how well you know me, you read me like a book." It wasn't like I didn't want that, I just felt...naked when I spoke to him about things so vulnerable. Preston chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "I guess it's just a talent." This made me snort.

"A talent?"

"I'm serious! My mom had it too." The more he tried to convince me, the more funny it seemed. I giggled. "What a nice talent you have there, Preston." He scoffed, a smirk light on his lips.

"But all jokes aside, sunshine. If you think he's worth it then don't feel a kind of way about it. I'm not saying to fight for his attention or whatever. Just...be more confident in your relationship. Unless I'll be a chauffeur whenever you cry." I pursed my lips as he said this. Be confident in my relationship? I didn't think of it that way. Perhaps I wasn't as confident as I thought.