|37| • Amelia

My insides had turned to mush.

How long had I imagined this day when working at the bakery? How long had I wondered if Evie was ever going to ask me to be his girlfriend? It was a long shot in thought, I mean, he was a handsome man with a gorgeous ex-fiancée, he was kind, older and more experienced. Would he want someone as naive as me? For a moment, I thought we were just flirting, but then he started pecking me every now and then, telling me how pretty I was.

It was scary to think after all that, he'd find another woman and like her more. But...I was the other woman— if it even made sense. Everest really wanted me to be his girlfriend? How cool was that? Me? Amelia!

I blinked to myself, hadn't I replied? Oh no! I hadn't! I was far too awestruck to do so. As if breaking from the trance, I squealed, hugging him tightly, still straddling him. "Yes!"

Wait, did that sound too eager?

"I mean, it's cool or whatever." I tried to play off but my insides were buzzing, heck, I could barely stay still. Everest gave me a smirk, his eyebrows arching at my response. "It's cool or whatever?" He repeated, making me blush. "I mean if you insist." I played along, rolling my eyes.

"I definitely insist, you sassy one."

This made me giggle, hugging him tighter. His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me close, his breath feathering against my neck. We were so close it was as though we were one. I loved the warmth that oozed from him. This was one of the happiest I'd been, my first boyfriend...was Everest Simon. How awesome did that sound? He was one neat package. I giggled, snuggling into him.

"I'm glad you said yes," Everest whispered, his large warm hands placed on my back, that was definitely my line! I hadn't had a boyfriend before but Evie had been engaged, the thought alone weighed on my shoulders but his hold reassured me. He liked me for who I was, right? I smiled, chewing on the insides of my cheeks.

"I'm happy you asked. No, I'm over the moon." I corrected with a grin, pulling back slightly to get a good look at the man...my man. Gosh! That was going to take some time to get used to, my weak heart squealed at the use of personal pronouns on him.

I noticed how his hair slicked back effortlessly, loose strands falling to his forehead. Everest's hair was a shade of dirty blonde, he didn't have curls, and the strands were more straight and obedient. His sharp eyebrows were browner than his hair. Staring into his warm brown eyes made my heart swoon, I simply felt like staying this way until dawn. Everest's jaw was chiselled, anyone could tell he was fit just by taking a look at his face. Light brown hair peeked out of his chest, trailing down.

Everest was a handsome man, it caused me to blush when I stared too long.

"What?" Everest asked, his eyebrows raising and his light pink lower lips arching up to form a cute expression. I giggled, shaking my head. How puppy-like could this man look? Feeling cheeky, I place a bold, long peck on his jaw, the strands of light brown hair which covered his cheek tickled my lips. I liked how trimmed and connected his beard was. Especially the moustache he had left to grow for a bit.

As I pulled away, I felt his stare on me. Pursing my lips, I looked up with a slight tilt, "You're just pretty." My head was still arched up, close to his face. I liked being this close to him without feeling guilty. His entranced look cracked into a smile before he let out a laugh. "I'm pretty?" Evie asked, his voice low.

I nodded. "You're a pretty man." He smirked, his lips moving closer to mine. Don't move away. I told myself, feeling giddy inside as I anticipated what he was going to do. Kiss me? To be honest, I really missed kissing him. Like, really missed it. Okay, you don't want to know that, sorry. Everest stopped before his lips touched mine and I have to say, it took restraint not to nudge my lips into his.