|83| • Everest

I'd always heard this phrase about relationships, it went like this: 'Sometimes obstacles in a relationship are a good thing because if you overcome it, you'd come back twice as strong.' And to be honest? It couldn't be more true.

It had been two weeks since I and Amelia settled the entire issue and we were better than before — it was as though we were newlyweds. She'd become more intentional, doing things like making breakfast whenever she could for the both of us, coming to my room so we could sleep in each other's arms, and calling me whenever we weren't together. I still couldn't get over how amazing the past two weeks had been.

Of course, I was also intentional.

The bouquet I'd gotten was in the car while I was in Gabe's apartment, sipping a glass of orange juice while my best friend went on about the stress of preparing for his wedding. Even though Gabe had proposed to Penelope, they agreed to set a wedding date when ready. Seeing him this stressed yet ecstatic made me happy for him. I guess this was the 'good kind' of stress; if there was a kind of thing in the first place.

"You should take things one step at a time. Remember, I'm always here to give a hand." I told him, pouring out more orange juice. Amelia would definitely love this, it was as sweet as they came. I made a mental note to pick one up on the way home.

Home...whenever I mentioned that now, I didn't think of my apartment; I thought of my woman.

"I know man, I know. Thank you." Gave said with a sigh, running a hand through his hair. "I am thinking of putting our court wedding two week from now. I want us to be official, you know?" He explained, laying back on the couch with a sigh. Penelope was at work right now, and though Gabe was in between jobs, he was considering setting up a business. He told me about his interest in graphic designing and was looking to start freelancing before venturing out into a company of his own.

"I know." I seconded with a nod. The time that had passed made me sure of what I wanted with Amelia. I wanted her to be mine, legally and all. I wanted her to be my wife; and someday...someday the mother of our children.

Goodness.

Was that looking too far?

"How about you? Hm? Still not sure of proposing?" Gabe asked, reading my expression as he usually did.   Chuckling at his question, I sat up. "You know, her birthday is coming up soon." I decided to start with and Gabe's eyebrows went up in surprise. "For real? When is it?" An idea had passed my mind a few times, I wanted her birthday to be special — to be with me.

"In a week from now."

"Oh? It's so close! Tell me what do you have planned?"

I laughed, taking a gulp from the orange juice. "Stop me if I sound too ambitious." I began and this cracked him up. "Too ambitious? Go on man, I'm intrigued now."

"I want it to be for three days."

"What? Her birthday? Oh man! Someone's feeling fancy." He teased and I waved my hands at his taunt. "I'm not done." Gabe smirked, gesturing for me to continue. "The first day, I want it to be kind of a shopping spree for her, you know? Like get anything you want, on me."

"I keep forgetting you saved a lot."

"If you interrupt me again-"

"Okay, okay lover boy. Continue."

"Now you sound like Cas." I groaned, "Anyways, the second day, which is ok here birthday, I'm thinking of inviting her friends, family and mine to celebrate with her. Just a night out on the beach — and I better see you there." With a pointed glare at the laughing man, I continued. "The third day...well, I actually want to propose to her."