|42| • Everest

"I insist, stay for dinner Everest."

Those words sounded like a challenge, his hard gaze holding me in place. From the way he looked, I'm sure her father was already analysing my every move, I saw his gaze move daughter who was awfully close to me, the oblivious lady still held on to my elbow, her lips pouting. Goodness, I wasn't prepared for the grilling right away, although he did say we would meet soon enough. Clearing my throat, I forced out a smile.

"How could I decline such an offer?" I responded smoothly even though my entire inside was scampering around. The man was probably riling up on his insides, cooking some questions to throw my way so as to destabilise me. At least that was what I'd have done did I was in his position.

Amelia's father cocked his head to the dining table, walking slowly to the kitchen. I looked down at Amelia, she was already looking at me, an apologetic expression on her face. I did want to tell her it was alright, but that was far from what I was feeling, so I settled for a deep breath.

As we walked to the dining table, I thought back to when I had met Saffron's boyfriend, was this how he felt on the hot seat? Did beads of sweat form on his forehead? It was as though I was walking to my doom. Ah, I was being dramatic, wasn't I? I felt small hands grasp my sweaty ones, it was my baby girl. She squeezed my palms in a comforting way.

It helped, just a little.

"He'll love you." She said with a gentle smile. Love me? Goodness, I was hoping he'd tolerate me in the least. Amelia's doe eyes peered at mine, as though she was searching for belief in her words. I couldn't even smile back, I simply squeezed her palms softly. I didn't want to lose this lady, heck, I just made it official.

Her father sat down opposite me, I thought Amelia was going to sit by my side but her dad chirped in, halting her movements. "Amelia be a dear and whip us something quick for dinner. I think there are some leftovers in the fridge."

He was looking at me as he said this and I immediately understood the meaning. He wanted it to be just us in the dining room. He didn't want his little girl interfering. Amelia hesitated, sparing me a small smile before doing her father's bidding. As she walked out of the room, I made sure to mask any emotion I felt.

I was in this alone now.

"I haven't properly introduced myself. My name is Everest, Everest Simon." Extending my hands, I let a small smile show. The older man gazed down at my hand, narrowed his eyes and when I thought he wasn't going to return the kindness, his hands met mine in a firm, curt handshake.

"I know your name already. Call me Joseph." He told me his name, and I nodded. Joseph. It was a biblical name, it suited him. Somehow, he looked like Joseph. I noticed his hair was thick, twisted at the top and came down a little. A bit similar to what Abel had.  I ran my hands through the curved strands of blond hair which mopped on my head.

"I apologise if my arrival was unannounced, it's just, Lia— I mean Amelia called me and I got worried," I explained cooly while he inspected me. He didn't nod, he simply cleared his throat and asked.

"How did you two meet?"

I pursed my lips, that was quite the story, wasn't it? I was conflicted about whether to start from the beginning or skip to the bakery. "Well, we met formally at the bakery. The first time was when she helped me from a fall." That was me putting it lightly.

"The bakery? So that was what she was doing all those times." Joseph muttered the last sentence under his breath but I mustered up what he said. "When I...saw her again at the bakery, I couldn't help but take her number, I wanted to keep in touch." Why was I still talking? This was an interrogation not a walk down memory lane.