|47| • Everest

It had been two weeks since the drunken night incident, to be honest, I was torn. Feeling rather embarrassed that she had to see me like that, but my heart fluttered — yes fluttered — at how Amelia took care of me that day. I only recalled bits and pieces of that night, but I knew my drunken state wasn't the prettiest, or polite. Yet the next day, she seemed unbothered, teased me a little and that was it.

Goodness.

Was it over the top to imagine her as my wife? Too soon? Okay.

Today was a Saturday, all the legal documents for my apartment had been done and I was officially moving out of my family house. It was bittersweet really, it never crossed my mind until recently that I'd eventually have to get a place of my own, honestly, I'd miss them. Admittedly, regret sweeper in when I remembered how distant and bitter I was towards Saffron, my father and Emily — my stepmother.

When I was discharged, the feeling of oddity swelled in me, as though I didn't belong there. Nothing was left to look forward to, the only reason I was discharged was because of the bomb incident. Bitterness filled my heart. Slowly but surely I began opening up to them, and now the thought of leaving them sat heavy on my chest.

"I'm allowed to visit you, right?" Saffron's loud voice blared, pulling me from my walk down memory lane. She had her frizzy red hair into a messy bun, cheeks dark from crying. She shouldn't be crying because of me...I wished her gone when I was in the army.

Huffing, I pulled her into a hug, her short self dangling when I stood upright with her in my arms. "Of course, anytime you want." I whispered into her hair. Saffron sniffled, squeezing her arms around my neck. "Okay..." She croaked our sadly. Who knew someone so stubborn could be as vulnerable as this?

"If that boy ever hurts you, don't hesitate to tell me. I'll make him kick the bucket." Saffron gasped at what I said, wriggling out of my grip. I'd said it lowly so my dad and Emily didn't hear. She scrunched her eyebrows, pouting her lips, her face still stained with tears. "Don't say that!" She whispered sadly, wiping her tears away.

I didn't trust the that Rivers of a guy, I only hoped he was treating her good, if not...I guess I'd pull a Joseph on him.

Going to my dad, I stood in front of him, taking one good look. "I'm going to miss you, son." He said with a sad smile, pulling me in before I could say anything else. There was nothing to say anyways, how many times would I want apologise if I even began to? Inhaling his scent, I hugged him back tightly.

"I'm just at the other side of town." I joked trying to lighten up the mood. He chuckled, so clearly it worked. Even though I wasn't going out of the country, I knew we wouldn't see often, being occupied with work — which would now be quite the journey, if I decided to continue anyways, and taking care of Amelia.

Speaking of, I wondered how I'd be able to go to and fro from my apartment to the mechanic shop, it was quite the distance now that I was thinking about it. Pursing my lips, I decided to put it aside for now.

I noticed Emily was staring at me all along, even though we hardly spoke, she oozed that motherly figure I'd needed after my mother passed. I was far too scared to admit it. "Everest." She called it, taking my palms.

"Stay safe, okay?" She kissed my palms, bringing me in from my shoulders. "And make sure you don't lose that lady you brought to us, okay? Make sure you keep her happy." She was talking about Amelia, I nodded. Of course I was planning to keep her happy.

"I will, Ma."

Perhaps it was because I hadn't called her that before, Emily stilled, before hugging me even tighter. "I love you, remember that." This made me chuckle, they were acting like I was going away for good. "I love you too, take care of Pa and the stubborn girl for me." We separated after one last hug.