|43| • Amelia

Everest was a jerk.

Papa was an even bigger jerk.

I wanted nothing to do with the pair. As soon as he drive off — after snapping and calling me a brat (which was a heavy jab at my heart), I went back inside, ignoring my Papa's call. I locked myself in my room and cried until sleep took over. Why did he think he could control my life for so long? When he commanded that I get a job — even though I didn't want to, I did!

The one thing I wished he'd bless, he'd be okay with, all crumbled before my ears. Did I rush bringing him here? Should I have waited until whenever? My heart ached, thinking of this hurt my mind mentally. If Momma was here, perhaps Papa wouldn't be so firm, perhaps they'd be someone to put his butt him place!

When I woke up, my face was stained with tears, my eyes puffy and my nose blocked. Surprisingly, the slumber, if fallen into, was calm, and peaceful, it made me feel a bit better. Though, I still woke up groggy, movements sluggish. It didn't take long for me to take a hot shower and dress up in the attire for Margaret's Delight. I didn't even know what to do with my hair, I simply coiled it after applying conditioner, leaving it to puff out in its natural beauty.

Walking down the stairs, my eyes caught Papa and Abel at the dining table, it made me hesitate. I didn't want to see any of them today, not even that big jerk Everest! So I was a brat, huh? I shook my head, not even ready to unfold it yet. Their heads turned to me simultaneously, Papa putting his newspaper down.

"Good morning Abel, Papa," I muttered his name, darting my eyes away. Papa grunted, I could still feel his stare on me. Abel rose to his feet, coming towards me. As I reached the landing, he was in front of me. I didn't want to look at him, my eyes were burning just being here.

"I heard what happened." He whispered, blocking my view from Papa. I shrugged, pursing my lips, there was nothing to be said. Papa chased my boyfriend away and now he was frustrated at me, and I was mad at him! Seemed like a domino of disaster. "Look at me," Abel stated, his hand going to reach my jaw.

Why did the men in my life think they could tell me what to do?!

Huffing, I pushed his hand away. "I'm leaving for work." Heading to the door, I heard my big brother bark out, "I'll take you!" This made me roll my eyes, "No need!" I was out of the house now, quickly walking out of the gate and down the road. It wasn't that I was mad about it, perhaps it was just transferred aggression. All the men in my life just seemed to be getting on my nerves!

First Darrick, was moving and didn't want me in his life any longer, apparently I was the bad friend for not choosing him over my boyfriend! How couldn't he see how much I loved and cherished him as a person? More especially our friendship? He was such a jerk! A big skinny jerk that I knew my heart would miss for a long time. He was there for me when people weren't.

Then Papa, being so mean to Evie! I wasn't sure what happened when I was out of hearing but it was enough for Papa to send him out in a rather harsh way. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye; party because I would burst out crying if I did.

Last but certainly, most definitely not the least was Everest Simon. That big, tall, handsome jerk! Did he really think I was a brat? All I wanted was to know what conspired between the two most important men in my life, and what did I get in return? A stab at the heart. He hadn't even messaged me after, I was honestly expecting an apology when he got him but it looked like there was an invisible brick wall between us.

If he wanted to ignore me, then fine.

I didn't need to talk to him anyways. As I thought this, my heart ached. Sure I didn't need to communicate with him but I wanted to. He made me smile, he made me laugh so effortlessly. Yet, he could make me cry with just a single hurtful word.