|10| • Amelia

As Darrick set down the hot chocolate, I grimaced his way.

 Okay, maybe I shouldn't have gushed about Everest calling our little hang-out a 'date'. But what gives? I didn't understand why he was so bothered about it. Huffing as he avoided my stare, I sank deeper into his fluffy couch, letting the soft material comfort me.

"Quit staring like I'm scolding you." His words were such an irony, he was scolding me just now! Well, with a calm voice and pointed stare. Huffing and puffing for the umpteenth time, I thought of his words. I knew Darrick loved me, he'd said it one too many times for me not to know it, hence, there had to be a bit of truth in his words. Right?

"I'm just saying, it's a bit weird." 

He deadpanned, reclining on the couch beside me, his arm going to hug my shoulder. What did he think was weird about it? The fact that Everest wanted to go on a date with me? I thought it was a bit questioning but now that Darrick voiced it out, it made me uneasy. As Papa said, did he just want to sleep with me? The heat warmed my cheeks at such a vulgar thought.

"What's weird about it?" I asked lowly, picking the hem of my cotton skirt while leaning into his arms. No boy has paid attention to me after the first or second conversation, it always ended with a snort or huff in frustration. They complained about my childish mentality. I had even tried kissing one of them so he wouldn't think of me as a child but it ended rather badly.

"His age? How forward he is, what else?" Darrick wasn't holding back, it hurt.

"Do you think he wants to...just sleep with me?" He looked down with a hum, his eyes piercing into mine. Staring at the difference in our skin tone, I sighed. I was nearly three tones darker than him, more fleshy too. Pursing my lips, I glanced toward Darrick for an answer but he just shrugged. 

"I can't say no."

Ouch.

A small prick made my chest tighten. I wanted him to be my friend. Maybe even humour him about my crush along the line. Nibbling on the bottom of my lips, I reached for the cup of hot cocoa, putting it to my lips. "I can't say yes either." Darrick completed with a conflicted look.

"So, I should ask him?"

"No! Don't do that."

Pouting, I shrug my shoulders. If he said so. Snuggling deeper into Darrick's warm hold, I shut my eyes for a bit. Would he want me messaging him when it was so late? I mean, the sun had begun setting already, wouldn't he be busy? Fluttering my eyes open, I gazed over to my phone which lay idly on the coffee table. No. I came here to spend time with Darrick. Not to think about Everest.

I wonder what his surname is...

Maybe something masculine, like him.

Gosh, what happened to concentrate on Darrick? Forcing a smile on my lips, I forced down the feeling threatening to move my hands and message him. "So, how's working going?" It was an effort to change the topic from the pale-skinned, built man who wouldn't leave my mind. He chuckled, shrugging his shoulders.

Darrick worked as a receptionist in a spa. From what he told me, it wasn't a fun thing having to deal with rude customers and the children who came with their parents. "It's going I guess. I'm thinking of quitting." Turning, I look at his face. There was no trace of sarcasm. "I'm sending applications to an office about five hours away." 

"That far?" Did that mean if he got the job, he'd leave me? My chest clenched at the thought of him leaving. I didn't want him to go...

"Yeah, it's in the outer banks but it's a pretty good place and the pay is great." I forced a giggle, taking another sip of the hot cocoa. "I hope you get the job." I didn't. I wouldn't be that selfish to tell me though.

"I don't know, I really hope so."

I remained quiet.

"Hey, Amelia?"

"Hm?" His stare lingered on my lips, before trailing to my eyes. "I want to tell you something." Curious, I sat up from his grasp, turning towards him. This was the second time he'd asked to tell me something but decided against it. 

"Yeah?" If I had done anything to make him mad, I needed him to let me know! There was that stare again, was my lips swollen? Consciously, I touched it with my thumb. I know he said I should stop biting on my lip but it helped me calm down!

"You can tell me anything, Darrick."

He smiled a faint one.

"I know..."

He leaned in, his scent filling my nostrils. The small space between us made me giggle, did he like my perfume that much?

 "I love you,"

 Darrick whispered, his voice heavy. See?  He'd said so one too many times. His lips pressed against my cheeks, leaving a small kiss. He was the only guy that could do that, we'd been friends for so long it was natural. 

"I love you too, Darrick."

He sighed, standing up from the couch before stretching.

"Anyways, I'll go bring the board games now." Perking up eagerly, I nodded at his request. I was in the mood to play some games. "Are you ready to get your butt kicked?!" How cocky of him! "Nuh-uh! Not if I kick yours first!" Darrick cackled.

"In your dreams, sunshine." Scoffing at his words, I watch him walk out of the kitchen to fetch the board games, my eyes directing back to my phone. What was Everest doing? One text wouldn't hurt, would he? It had already been a day since we last spoke, I hope he wasn't driving. Chewing on my lips, I contemplated what to do. 

Okay...just one text. He might not even see it.

Quickly grabbing my phone, I opened his contact, staring at his number. Why was I getting so nervous? He couldn't even see me from here! Goodness, what would I wear to see him tomorrow? Shaking my head, I tried not to squirm in my seat.

'Hey! I just realized I didn't know your last name.'

I decided on messaging before shoving the phone into the pillow beside me, Darrick strolling out with the monopoly pack. "Well don't you look guilty?" He taunted with a smirk, dropping the board game on the coffee table.

"Psh! No, I'm not."

At the same time, I said this, my phone vibrated. He replied! "I wonder who that is." Stylishly picking up my phone, I bit on my lips to stop smiling so hard.

 It was Everest. He said: 'Hey sweetheart, you're right. It's Simon. Everest Simon.'

"Amelia...?" Darrick questioned suspiciously.

"Nothing!" 

Folding my arms, I bents towards the coffee table, the smile stretching my cheeks wider.