Chapter 3

"Goblins!" Aragorn yelled out as he pushed the hobbits behind all of us to protect them while we fought.

I began seeing lights and started shooting arrows towards them, hitting my mark every time. Legolas beside me, also killing goblins like there was nothing to it. When there was only a few goblins left, I heard an even louder noise coming from the mine, making me jerk my head that direction to see what it was.

"Cave troll!" I shouted as I slung my bow back across my back and pulled my daggers, running right towards it.

"Vanimelda!" I heard Aragorn yell as I jumped off of a pillar onto its back.

I was about to stick my dagger into the top of its head, when I felt a sharp pain in my leg, seeing an arrow sticking out of it. The pain caused me to lose my balance and fall off of the troll. I scooted myself back against the wall as it turned towards me and raised its weapon to strike me down. As I was sitting there, thinking I was about to die, I saw long blonde hair swooshing side to side, seeing Legolas jump onto its back and fire three arrows into its skull, killing it. He jumped down when the troll fell, and immediately ran to my side.

"Are you alright?" He asked me, causing me to chuckle a little.

"I am sitting here with an arrow sticking out of my leg, and you are asking if I am alright?" I asked him as I gripped the arrow and began to try and pull it out.

"Here, let me help."

Legolas gripped the arrow, swiftly pulled it out of my leg, and immediately put pressure on the wound. I pulled a cloth out from my tunic, placing it over the wound and pressing gently with my hand. I murmured a healing spell in elvish, quickly healing it. I looked up, meeting the gaze of Legolas and seeing an astonished look upon his face. I pushed myself up off of the ground, and with the help of Legolas stood back on my feet. Everyone had begun to gather around me, wondering how I healed so quickly.

"I am a healer. That is part of the reason I decided to join on this quest." I said to all of them, letting out a sigh.

We all began walking further into the mines until we reached a bridge structure that was narrow. One by one we followed one another across, stopping only when a loud thundering noise was coming from behind us. Gandalf immediately turned around to see what it was because he was the last one to cross. As he did so, a Balrog rose from the depths of the mine below us. We all began running faster to the entrance as Gandalf stood his ground with his staff, raising it high into the air.

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" He yelled at the top of his lungs as he slammed it to the ground, causing the balrog to descend back into the depths.

He turned to us to begin walking towards the exit, when he balrog reached up from the depths grabbing his leg and pulling him down. He gripped the edge of the bridge, trying to prevent himself from falling all the way down, a scared and worried look upon his face.

"Gandalf! No!" Frodo screamed as he went to lunge for him as he fell into the pits.

Aragorn grabbed him around the shoulders, picking him out and rushing him outside. As we all took in the fresh air and bright sunlight, the realization hit us. I watched as one by one each member of the fellowship collapsed on the ground in mourning. I sat on a boulder near Aragorn, putting my head in my hands, attempting to hold back my tears.

"It is okay to cry, Vani." I heard Aragorn softly say to me as he put a hand on my shoulder.

"I must stay strong for everyone else." I replied to him as I got up from where I was sitting and began to walk towards our destination, only stopping when I realized no one else was following.

"Get them up!" Aragorn yelled, signaling it was time to go.

"Give them a moment for pity's sake!" Boromir exclaimed in anger.

"Aragorn is right, we must get going. The orcs will soon follow us, and we cannot linger here any longer. We must head to Lothlorien." I spoke up and said, trying to diffuse the situation.

Everyone got to their feet, and we started the trek to Lothlorien on foot. Legolas and I led the group, seeing as we were much lighter and quicker than the rest due to our elven race. I spotted the entrance to Lothlorien and stopped dead in my tracks. I had never personally been there, but I had heard quite a many great stories about its beauty. Legolas and I sat at the entrance of the woods and waited for everyone to catch up to us.

"Vanimelda, you are quite strong and determined for an elven princess. Usually they tuck tail and hide behind their fathers and royal titles. But not you. You fight for what is right, and you consistently defend others who cannot defend themselves. I truly admire that about you." Legolas said to me as we sat on the ground and waited.

"Well, just because I am a princess does not mean I should be weak. My father had no sons, and I was the eldest of his daughters. I gave Arwen the throne, due to the fact I did not want the royal duties. I want to be on adventures and travel instead of sitting on one place constantly." I replied to him as I picked the little flower weeds, and made a small bracelet out of them.

"The hobbits look to you, Vani. They admire you, gathering their courage from witnessing your strength. I cannot believe that all these years I was unaware of Elrond having another daughter besides Arwen."

"He tended to keep me behind closed doors, claimed it was for my own protection. But, when I became of age I decided my own fate."

Legolas looked at me, his beautiful blue eyes piercing into my own, a bright smile on his face. I looked away from his gorgeous face, looking to the group of people that had finally caught up to us. I shot up from the ground, and smiled at the little hobbits that were trying so hard to keep up with the men. Even poor Gimli was out of breath.

"Here we are, the entrance to Lothlorien." I stated as I smiled at each of them and gestured to the entrance to the woods.