Chapter 15

We rode together for the rest of the day until we reached the gates of Gondor. We quickly rode our horses up the walkways to the entrance of the throne room. I dismounted Alqua quickly and ran inside to meet the Steward. As I entered, I saw a man sitting on the throne looking rather angry, greasy black and grey hair, and giving Legolas and I the worst scowl I had ever seen.

"My lord, you have troops from Mordor coming to your gates. You must ready your men and light the beacons for aid!" I frantically said as I walked closer to him.

"Don't come any closer to me, elf. Who said you were welcome here in the lands of Gondor?" The Steward shot back at me, his scowl never leaving his face, and seemingly worsening.

"I thought that because I was warning you about the coming attack on your kingdom that it would be appreciated. Why would I not be welcome? Because of me being an elf?"

"Precisely. Elves are no good, and are only involved for recognition or for some prize in return. So what is it that you want?"

"To warn you and your men. I want nothing more from you, I do not wish to see people needlessly die. So, are you going to light the beacon or not?"

"Not. No one will come to our aid anyway, and it is useless to light the beacon."

I scoffed as I turned my heel and walked back out, looking in the direction of the beacon, Legolas close on my heels. I waited for the doors to close before walking over to the side out of view of others.

"You have an idea, don't you Vani?" Legolas whispered to me, only for my ears to hear.

"That I do. But I must wait a little while longer before enacting it." I responded, looking to the beacon to find a way to climb it.

"You mean to light the beacon on your own."

I looked to him and nodded my head, acknowledging and confirming his suspicion.

Legolas and I sat together in a dark alley, awaiting the right moment to light the beacon in order to call for aid all across middle earth. As darkness fell, and the soldiers guarding the beacon seemed tired, I quietly climbed the side of the wood, avoiding their gaze, and dumped the oil on the wood pile. I quickly took the torch and lit the fire before jumping off and landing on my feet next to it. I was quick to climb back down the wall and ran to Legolas' side.

"The beacon has been lit!" The soldiers cried as they ran around it looking for who could have done it.

I smiled to myself as I began walking to the front gates to watch as beacons across middle earth would begin to be lit.

"ELF! HOW DARE YOU INTERFERE IN THIS WAY!?" I heard the steward scream from his castle as I began running to the gates.

The people of Gondor were cheering and laughing at the fact the beacon had been lit, and they would receive the help they needed for the coming war.

"Now he cannot avoid it, Rohan will answer and so will all of the other cities across Middle-earth." I said to Legolas as we mounted our horses and began riding to the outskirts of the city to make camp.

"You are the smartest woman I have ever met, Vani." Legolas said to me, kicking his horse to keep up with mine.

We found a small clearing a few paces away from Gondor, and decided to make camp there for the night awaiting the arrival of troops. I gathered small twigs and sticks to begin making a fire, while Legolas built a small shelter for us to sleep under. I softly sat down next to him under the shelter and in front of the fire, laying my head on his shoulder.

"You made it awfully small, Legolas." I said to him, an all knowing tone filling my voice.

"Gives you more of a reason to cuddle closer, does it not?" He asked with a soft laugh and kiss upon my head.

"You are a very sly elf, melenth."

"And that is why you love me."

"I do. I very much do."

"I love you too, Vani. Now let us lay and get some rest."

Legolas laid down on the soft moss and pulled me into his arms, keeping me warm and comforted throughout the night.