Chapter 11

As we stood on the wall, our bows in hand, the tension and nervousness was so thick it could have been scooped up by a spoon. I began shifting my weight back and forth, a weak attempt at calming myself, when I felt a soft and warm hand grab my own. I looked next to me, meeting the calming eyes of Legolas, him giving me a weak smile.

"Everything is going to me alright, melenth (my love)." Legolas softly said to me, seemingly calming my nerves for the time being.

I interlaced my fingers with his as we stood and waited, the silence draining the life force out of all of our minds as the lights and thundering boots got closer to us. As they got right up near the wall, the thundering boots stopped, and everyone was even more silent then before.

"What is going on? I can't see! You could have picked a better spot!" I heard Gimli complaining on the other side of Legolas.

"Would you like me to describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?" Legolas said to him, a slight laugh escaping his lips, making Gimli let out a hearty laugh.

I smiled at them, knowing how right I was and they finally grew on one another. Legolas looked at me, his eyes filled with worry and fear. I gave him a small smile, trying to hide how scared I really was. Legolas swiftly placed a hand on the side of my face pulling me to him, his lips crashing down on mine for a brief moment. It was as though lightning struck our lips as they met, it feeling so right and electrifying for our lips to be together. The kiss was rough, almost as though it had been building up for an eternity, and too short for my liking but we were about to engage in battle after all.

"About time." Gimli said gleefully beside Legolas.

My heart fluttered as I saw the smile spread across Legolas' face after we pulled away from one another, happiness filling my body. As we were looking into one another's eyes, I heard someone let an arrow fly, striking an orc that was standing in the front line of the army below. I let out a gasp, realizing that he started the battle earlier than intended and we must begin to fight. The orcs began chanting and screaming, then suddenly began charging the walls. All of us drew our arrows, ready to fire when signaled to.

"Their armor is weak by the neck and below the arms." Legolas said softly, only for elven ears to hear.

Aragorn ordered us to fire in elvish, causing a flurry of arrows to fly through the air, striking all of their targets. As we were firing, I heard the men scream fire, and they created a volley for us. I quickly reloaded my bow, ready to fire once more, getting the signal from Aragorn that I so desperately wanted. Eomer and the rest of the Rohirrim were still no where in sight. We were to do this alone after all. I watched as my people were being shot with arrows beside me, getting angrier by the second.

"Ladders!" I heard Aragorn yelling, causing all of us to pull out our swords and daggers instead of the bows.

Gimli was ecstatic that they were now coming up the walls were he could join in the combat as well. I began slicing every orc that came up over the wall near me, Legolas using his own arrows to shove in their necks, pulling them back out and using that same arrow to fire at another. I looked over at Gimli who began shouting at Legolas.

"Legolas! I am at two already!" Gimli yelled, holding up two fingers.

"I'm on seventeen!" Legolas yelled back, killing two more and counting aloud.

"If it matters, I'm on 19 already!" I yelled at them both, grinning at the fact I was winning.

"I will not have two pointy ears out scoring me!" Gimli shouted, swinging his axe once more.

I laughed to myself, enjoying the fact that they are finding amusement in the most horrible of situations. I looked down at the ground, seeing an orc running towards the drain pipe with a torch.

"Legolas! Bring him down!" Aragorn screamed in elvish at Legolas, causing him to turn his attention and begin firing arrows at the orc.

"Kill him! Kill him!" Aragorn continued to yell as Legolas was shooting more arrows with me standing beside him firing some of my own, but the orc would not go down.

I watched as the orc lunged at the opening, causing the bombs inside to explode, and opening the entirety of that section of wall, sending the people standing on it flying through the air. I watched Aragorn land on the ground, seemingly unconscious, fear and worry coursing through me.

"Aragorn!" I screamed as I ran and jumped off the wall to be at his side.

I shook his shoulders gently trying to wake him, causing him to abruptly sit up and shake his head. Gimli jumped off the wall after me, into the horde of orcs, attempting to distract them until we got our bearings about us.

"Gimli!" I yelled, running towards him with my daggers drawn, causing Aragorn and the rest of the elves to follow.

As I got to where Gimli was, I heard clinking metal, and watched as Legolas kicked up a shield using it as a sled down the stairs, firing arrows killing several orcs in the process. As he got to the bottom of the stairs, I continued to watch as he stabbed his arrows in the orcs just as he did earlier. He immediately ran to my side, helping me fight.

"I had to get to you, and that was the quickest way I could think of." Legolas said to me with a smile as we continued to fight.

Orcs began getting through the gate, causing us all to retreat into the keep. As we entered with the little soldiers we did have left, Theoden looked utterly defeated, and anger began to course through me once more.

"All is lost. We cannot defeat them." Theoden stated, absolutely defeated.

"Your men are continuing to defend this place, even though they've watched their friends die on your behalf! This is your fault, Theoden. You put children into this battle, and now what? You so easily want to give up?" I said to him, anger filling my voice.

"What can man do against such reckless hate?"

"Ride out and meet them." Aragorn stated matter of factly.

I looked out the window, seeing the sun beginning to rise. We all gathered our horses, waiting for the precise moment for the orcs to break through the gate, and began running at them, slicing them up along the way. We rode down the bridge into the middle of the field, knowing we were all about to die. I looked to the east, seeing a white stallion rearing on top of the large hill.

"Gandalf." Aragorn and I whispered at the same time.

I suddenly saw a man on horseback come up from behind Gandalf, raising his sword in the air.

"Rohirrim! To the king!" I heard Eomer's voice ring out across the land.

Hope filled all of our faces as thousands of horsemen came charging down the hill at the awaiting army. We all fought side by side until the battle was finally over. The wounded were brought to the keep for rest and healing, and the dead were gathered to be buried in the coming days. I made my way to the keep to assist in healing the wounded, Aragorn following closely behind me. I first walked to a child who couldn't have been more than twelve years of age, with a large head wound that he surely would die from without intervention. I placed my hand over top of it, closing my eyes and whispering in elvish. The boy began to writhe under my hand, clearly in pain as the wound on his head healed and the bleeding stopped. Tears began to fall down my face as I realized just how many children were in the keep in need of healing. I stood, about to walk to the next wounded, when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Vani, do not exhaust yourself. Please, you need rest as well." I heard Legolas' soothing voice from behind me.

"I cannot let these children die, Legolas." I responded, looking him in the eyes with tears streaming down my face.

"You cannot heal them all, your power will not allow it and you know it."

He softly kissed my cheek, and gave me a sweet smile before walking off to a bedroll to rest himself. I leaned against the cold cement wall, slowly sliding down it, letting the exhaustion from battle take my body over and everything going black.