Chapter 8

As we entered the throne room, Theoden looked at Eomer and I, a huge grin plastered on his face. We walked up to his throne, awaiting him to begin speaking.

"It has come to my attention that an army of orcs are headed this way. We must evacuate the city immediately, making for the safety of helms deep." Theoden spoke to all of us.

"Helms deep? Are you mad? You would be walking right into a trap!" I spoke up and said, trying to change his mind.

"Last I checked, you were not of Rohan royalty, Vani. This is my kingdom, and my decision. I must protect my people, and no army has ever broken the wall to helms deep, it is the safest place."

"You're going to get everyone killed."

Eomer gently grabbed my hand, attempting to calm me down before speaking.

"I will leave and gather the rest of the Rohirrum to help in this fight." Eomer spoke up and said, causing me to look at him with a questioning look.

"Eomer, I just got you back, and you are already leaving?" I whispered so only he could hear.

"It is my duty, Vani. I have to do this for my home."

He softly kissed my lips, right in front of everyone standing in the hall, getting a lot of gasps and scuffs from those watching. Legolas in particular did not seem very thrilled about it, and immediately left the hall. I walked with Eomer to the stable as he gathered his weapons and readied his horse.

"Vani, for what it is worth, I do not wish to leave you either. But I will return, this I can promise you." Eomer said to me softly as he pulled me into a hug, my face buried in his chest.

"You had better be at Helms Deep before the battle, Eomer. Or I will hunt you down myself." I said to him with a slight chuckle.

"I will be there."

Eomer kissed my lips once more before getting on his horse and disappearing in the distance with the few riders that were with him. I stood in the doorway of the stable, watching as he disappeared, hoping that he would be alright through his journey and would meet us in Helms deep.

"Vanimelda, we are setting out in the morning with the entire city of Edoras. You may wish to gather your things and prepare for the journey ahead." Legolas said to me, with an underlying angry tone.

I nodded in his direction, acknowledging that I heard him, before walking back to my room. I began to gather all of my weapons, and change back into my blue tunic, brown pants, and brown riding boots. I knew I would not be getting much sleep tonight, so I sat on my window sill, looking out at the mountains that surrounded us. Thinking of what my future would hold if I stayed with Eomer, not knowing if it is everything I truly wanted. I heard a soft knock on my door, and softly ushered them in.

"Can I speak with you for a moment, Vani?" Aragorn asked me as he peeked his head through my door.

"If you would like. Shut the door behind you if you would." I responded, not even looking away from the window.

"He is fond of you, you know."

"I am well aware he is. I am fond of him as well, but with our differing races I am not sure that us being together is a good thing. I do not wish to sit by and watch him die as I live on. And besides, I do not think this fondness is love, I believe it is just infatuation on both ends."

"Vani, I am not speaking of Eomer."

I turned my head to look at Aragorns face, his head hung down as he was softly laughing to himself. Confusion plastered all over my own face.

"Who are you speaking of then?" I asked him, shocked that anyone but Eomer was interested in me.

"Are you really that oblivious to the situation?" Aragorn asked me as his eyes met mine.

"Clearly, because I am aware it is not you, you are like a brother to me. And clearly it is not Gimli, for I heard him talking to Legolas about-" I stopped mid sentence, the reality hitting me in the face like a ton of bricks, "Oh."

"Do you understand now?"

I got up from the window sill, and began walking around my room, trying to clear my head.

"Legolas is fond of me? Since when?" I asked as I finally stopped and looked back at Aragorn.

"Since Lothlorien. Have you not noticed that he wears that flower bracelet you made on his wrist? The flowers are now dead, and even were just weeds, and yet he never takes it off. He speaks of you often when you are not around, he is looking your direction every chance he gets, and him seeing you with Eomer has practically drug him through the dirt." Aragorn responded to me softly.

"Why hasn't he talked to me about this?"

"He saw you with Eomer, and knew you belonged to another."

"I do not belong to Eomer! I haven't even decided if being with him is what I want. I want happiness, a family, a stable home, adventure. I cannot have those things if I am with Eomer, I must give up all of the things I truly want."

I continued to ramble as Aragorn stood in my room, patiently listening to me, when I heard a cough from the doorway. I turned my head, looking in the direction of the noise, hardly believing my eyes at who was standing before me.

"Eomer, I'm sorry. I thought you left, please hear me out." I said to him as he turned to walk away.

He stopped long enough to look back at me and smile, sadness still all over his expression.

"Vani, I came back to see you one last time. I do not wish to make you part with the things you want out of life, I want you to be happy. All I ask is I can get one last kiss." Eomer said to me as he took my hands in his.

I cupped his face with one of my hands, bringing his face to mine, placing one last kiss upon his lips. As we pulled away, he smiled at me and brought me into him for a hug.

"We will always be friends, Vani. Do not mistake this as a forever goodbye." Eomer said to me before turning and leaving once again.