Part 21

"Vanimelda! Where have you gone to?" I heard Legolas call after me as I walked through the wooded courtyard of Mirkwood, rubbing my growing belly that was holding our child.

I stopped amidst the in bloom apple trees, looking up at their beautiful white petals, when I felt his strong arms wrap around me and his lips place a soft kiss upon my neck.

"I told you not to go anywhere without a guard. You are Queen now, and are in need of an escort." Legolas softly said to me as I turned to face him.

"I think I can take care of myself, love." I responded to him with seriousness plastered across my face, "I just needed out of the castle for a while, and saw the beautiful apple trees in bloom. They are rather magnificent are they not?" I asked him as I once again turned with his arm still wrapped around my waist to gaze upon the trees beauty.

"They are, Vani. But what if something were to happen and you were out here all alone? Our baby is due at any time, you can't just be wandering alone."

I opened my mouth to respond to him when I felt a sudden sharp pain within my stomach. I collapsed into his arms, my hand on my lower stomach as I groaned in pain. I felt the trickle of something wet begin to descend down my leg as I looked to Legolas' face in terror.

"It's time." I said to him softly in between my groans of pain.

"The baby is coming!" Legolas shouted as he swooped me up into his arms and raced me into our birthing chamber.

I was laid gently upon the bed as the midwife rushed to the foot of the bed, lifting my skirts above my knees so she could see the area in which the baby would arrive from more clearly. I felt the sweat beading on my face as the pain got more and more intense, Legolas pacing the room next to me full of worry. I turned my head to look at him, slowly reaching my hand out toward him to get him to sit down next to me.

"I need you. I cannot do this alone." I said to him breathlessly.

"I will always be by your side." Legolas said to me as he grasped my hand and placed a kiss upon my knuckles.

"My lady, it is time for you to begin pushing. The baby is beginning to crown." The mid wife said to me from the end of the bed.

I took a deep breath and bared down using all of my might to push. I felt my grip tighten around Legolas' hand as I did so.

"Alright, my lady, one or two more pushes and your baby should be here." I heard the midwife once more say to me.

I once again bared down and pushed as hard as I could, Legolas' hand taking the brunt of my pain as I squeezed tighter than the time before. As I pushed for the third time, I collapsed backwards onto the bed hearing the soft cries of my child echoing through the room. Legolas let go of my hand as he walked to the midwife, her placing our child within his arms. His face lit up in pure joy as he bounced our baby back and forth and made his way over to me.

"It's a girl." He said to me softly with a smile plastered across his face.

He set her down on my chest, my arms wrapping around her as she was covered in a soft white blanket. Her cries stopped as I looked down at her with tear filled eyes.

"She's perfect." I said softly, tears spilling from my eyes.

"Just like her mother." Legolas said to me as he kissed the top of my head.

"What should we name her?"

"Alisaie."

I looked down at our perfect child within my arms, repeating the name Legolas had given her. Her name was fitting as it meant joyfulness and newness. Her head was already covered in a soft blonde, her nose the exact replica of Legolas', and her lips softly shut in the same shape as my own. I smiled down at her once more as Legolas' arms wrapped around the both of us, his lips pressing a soft kiss upon my head.

"I love you, my Queen." Legolas said to me with love filling his voice.

"And I you, my King."