Chapter 5

"Vani, wake up. It is time to go." I heard Aragorn say to me as he gently shook my shoulder to wake me.

I sat up slowly, watching everyone else already begin to pack their things to set out on our quest once more. I quickly got up, and also began to gather my things for the journey ahead. We all made our way down to the river where Galadriel and Celeborn were waiting for us. She nodded at me, reminding me of the conversation we had the night before. She stepped forward and began giving gifts to each member of the fellowship. She led us to the boats in the river, telling us that this is the assistance she was giving us on our journey. We all climbed into the boats, Sam and Merry with me. Aragorn was with Frodo, and Legolas had Gimli and Pippen. I found it so cute that poor Legolas was always stuck with Gimli, eventually I believed they would grow on one another and become good friends.

"Go my friends, be careful and be swift in destroying the ring." Galadriel said as we departed.

We began our journey down river, passing the kings statues. Aragorn stood in his boat, looking to them in amazement and a proud look upon his face. He was finally seeing the statues of his ancestors, and I could only imagine how he was feeling looking upon them.

"The statues are truly amazing aren't they, Miss Vanimelda?" I heard Sam speak up and say softly.

"They truly are, Sam. And please, just call me Vani." I responded to him giving him a small smile.

"Alright, Vani."

Merry shifted around in his seat in the boat, looking as though he was scared.

"Everything alright, Merry?" I asked him softly.

"Just not a big fan of boats. Or water for that matter. I am not a very good swimmer." He responded rather nervously.

"Well, looks as though we are pulling off of the river now. Aragorn has pulled his boat ashore."

I followed suit, pulling my boat ashore, and helping the little hobbits out. We walked to a small area where a camp was to be set up for us for the night. As we all sat around the fire, cooking a small meal to eat, I began to hear loud footsteps in the distance. Only Legolas and I were able to hear it, due to our elven hearing. I looked to him, his face full of worry, and I immediately grabbed my bow and took off running through the woods. I heard his soft steps behind me as he followed.

"Vani! Where are you going!?" I heard Aragorn shouting as Legolas and I ran through the forest.

"You heard them too, right?" I whispered to him as we stopped and looked in the direction they were coming from.

"Yes, but where did they go?" He answered me as he pulled his daggers out and held them at his sides.

I stayed as quiet as possible as I began to look around, trying to find any trace of the orcs we had just heard. I heard screaming coming from the camp we were just at and immediately took of running towards them, Legolas hot on my heels.

"They tricked us!" I yelled as we were running.

I drew my bow and began firing arrows at the orcs that were surrounding our camp. I saw Aragorn swinging his sword, slicing their heads off easily. Even Frodo was standing behind him with a dagger pulled, ready to fight at all costs. Legolas continued firing arrows as I pulled my daggers and ran into the mob of them, standing next to Aragorn.

"Would have been nice if you stuck around when they began attacking!" He yelled at me over the fighting.

"Oh give me a break! We heard them coming from the other direction, how were we supposed to know it was a trick?" I shouted back as I did a backflip and sliced an orcs head off.

I watched as Legolas came jumping from tree to tree, joining us in the middle of the mob that was attacking. I heard a loud scream for help coming from further in the woods, before I realized that Merry, Pippen, and Boromir were missing. I took of running towards the sound, trying to figure out what was going on. As I got there, I saw Boromir laying on the ground with arrows sticking out of his chest, and Merry and Pippen being carried off by the orcs. I raised my bow to begin firing shots when Aragorn laid his hand on my arrow, causing me to lower it.

"You cannot kill them all. They are strong, we will find them in time." Aragorn said to me as I put my bow down, and he kneeled next to the body of Boromir.

"He tried saving them, and he died for it." I said as I closed his eyelids.

"Let us not receive the same fate."

Aragorn and I stood, Legolas and Gimli before us. I looked around, not seeing Sam or Frodo anywhere.

"Where is the ring bearer and Sam?!" I exclaimed, causing them to also realize they were gone.

We took off running towards the river as we heard a loud splashing noise, and when we got to the river bank, we saw Sam and Frodo rowing away down river in one of the boats. I went to push a boat into the river to follow them when Legolas stopped me.

"He means not to follow them, Vani." Legolas softly said as he laid his hand on my shoulder.

"We are going to let two hobbits go to Mordor on their own with no protection?" I asked, astonished that Aragorn was going to allow this.

"Yes. They know what they are doing, and Frodo doesn't want to continue to put us in danger. This is a quest he must complete alone. Now, lets go hung some orc, and find Merry and Pippen." Aragorn said as he looked into my eyes, anger coursing through his veins.