Chapter 12

I woke feeling the comfort of a soft pillow under my head, and a blanket tossed over me. I slowly opened my eyes, looking around not remembering where I had fallen asleep. I slowly sat up in the bed, seeing that someone had changed my clothes, and felt a sharp pain in my side. I looked down, seeing blood pooling under my rib cage quickly sustaining the white nightdress that I was put in. The pain continued to get worse, the feeling of my life draining from me, my body going cold. I put my hand over the wound, whispering the elven words to heal myself only for it not to work. My powers had been drained from me. I threw the blanket off of me, quickly seeing the sheets stained with blood and another set of legs laying next to me in the bed. I turned my head, looking at the figure that lay next to me to see the bloodied and distorted face of Legolas. Sheer panic and fear coursed through me, my body began to shake as I opened my mouth to let out a scream, only nothing escaped my lips. I kept hearing a voice calling out my name, beckoning me towards them.

"Vani! Hey! Wake up!" I heard Aragorn screaming into my ear as his hands were resting on my shoulders, shaking me violently to wake me.

My eyes shot open, my body in a cold sweat and shaking. My eyes met Aragorns, immediately causing me to break down into sobs. Legolas was at my side in an instant, running from the other side of the hall to me, wrapping me in his arms.

"What happened?" Aragorn questioned, kneeling on the ground in front of me.

"I dreamt of my death. I looked to my side and-" I abruptly stopped mid sentence, not wanting to alarm Legolas who was holding me tight to his chest.

"And what, Vani?" Legolas sweetly questioned, pushing a sweat soaked strand of hair away from my face.

"You were lying next to me, dead. I tried screaming, I tried getting out of bed, but I was frozen in place. I could hear a voice calling my name, and that is when I woke up to Aragorn shouting at me and shaking me."

Legolas pulled my head into his chest, allowing me to sob quietly into him.

"Why would you dream such terrible things, Vani?" He questioned softly, trying to understand.

"My one fear during battle was losing you, so when exhaustion took me, my mind played tricks on me to make me think I had." I responded softly, pulling my face out of his chest and looking into his eyes.

"I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

Aragorn laid a hand on my knee, while Legolas continued to hold me close to him comforting me. I had never had a nightmare like this before, and I truly hoped that it wouldn't repeat itself. I felt my eyes getting heavy once more, Legolas taking notice and carefully picking me up and carrying me to his bedroll for more comfort. He got up to walk away as he laid me down, but I quickly grabbed his wrist stopping him.

"Please don't leave me here alone." I whispered to him, getting a small smile out of him in return.

"As you wish, Melenth." He responded to me softly, laying down next to me and giving me a quick kiss on the top of my head.

I quickly fell back asleep wrapped in his arms for the first time.

"As adorable as I think this is, it is time to wake for the day." I heard Gimli say as he stood next to where Legolas and I were peacefully sleeping.

"Must you wake us right now?" I mumbled as I sat up and looked Gimli in the face.

"The king wishes to speak with us."

I heard Legolas groan, causing me to smile as I stood up to walk to the throne room. I waited for Legolas to wake and walk with me, hand in hand, Aragorn meeting us on the way there. As we entered, Theoden was standing in the middle of the room, a look of deep thought upon his face.

"What is it that you needed us for, my lord?" Aragorn asked, grabbing the attention of Theoden.

"I want to have a celebration of our victory, in the keep tonight. I am in need of help moving the injured into the throne room in order to set up for the festivities tonight." Theoden responded, smiling at the four of us.

I heard Gimli grunt beside me, Aragorn shifting his weight back and forth in disbelief, and Legolas opening his mouth about to say something.

"As you wish my lord." Aragorn stated before Legolas could object to what the king was asking of us.

We all bowed to him and began walking out.

"A celebration?! After so many lives were lost?" I whispered to Aragorn, my mind still trying to wrap itself around what the king was planning.

"We did win the battle after all." Aragorn said to me, trying to defend Theoden even though I knew he didn't agree either.

"Why do you constantly defend him? He is going to be celebrating his own people dying because of his stupidity."

"Vanimelda. You must understand, he is trying to celebrate the winning of the battle. He is not celebrating death and destruction, but the fact that not all of us were wiped out."

I sighed, feeling defeated, before walking towards the keep to check on the wounded soldiers. As I entered, there were much less people there that were in need of healing. Instead of the 50 there were only around 15 now. I immediately walked to the youngest of the wounded, using as much of my power as I could to heal each and every one of them, they deserved to live out the rest of their lives. The ones I was able to heal went home to their families, while the ones I did not get to were sent to the throne room to keep receiving treatment. Preparations for the celebrations began shortly thereafter, and I began walking the halls in search of Eowyn to get a dress to wear for the evening. As I turned the corner to walk down the hallway containing all of the bedrooms in the castle, I ran right into her.

"Hello, Vani." She said to me with a small smile.

"Hi, Eowyn. I am in desperate need for a dress for the celebration tonight. Could you possibly help me?" I asked her sweetly.

"Of course I can! Follow me."

She turned quickly on her heel and headed to the last room on the left. I went into the room with her, watching as she swung open the door to her wardrobe revealing all of the different types and colors of dresses she had. She picked out several for me to try on, but I eventually settled on a dress that was dark blue, had a corset to accent my curves (and perk up my breasts), and was outlined in silver with silver ribbon in the corset. The skirt of the dress was long and flowing, not too poofy, but just enough to flow behind me as I walked. Eowyn then tied my hair up into a braided bun before setting a small silver tiara upon my head.

"You are a princess after all." She said with a slight laugh.

"I haven't felt like one in a very long time, my friend. Thank you for helping me today." I replied to her, pulling her into a soft hug.

I exited her room, and began making my way to the keep for the celebration.