Chapter 6

"This journey would have been much faster with our horses!" I yelled towards Aragorn who was running ahead of Gimli and I with Legolas at his side.

"Horses cannot get you everywhere, Vani. And some things are better done on foot. Can you track orc from horseback?" Aragorn retorted to me as he stopped and turned my direction.

"Just because you make good points doesn't mean I don't still want Alqua. I can do many things on horseback."

Gimli stopped next to me, putting his hands on his knees and hunching over trying to catch his breath. I saw Legolas laughing at us from the short distance he was ahead. I wasn't out of breath, just more annoyed that we were having to trek so far on foot. I heard a slight noise, and saw Legolas jerk around to see what it was that was coming our direction. We all hid behind a large boulder as we saw at least 50 men approaching on horseback. Suddenly Aragorn shot out from behind the boulder and yelled at the men.

"Riders of Rohan! What news from the mark?" Aragorn yelled at them, causing them to change direction and head straight to us.

"Has he lost his mind?" I whispered to Legolas as we walked out to be by his side when they approached.

Legolas shrugged at me, standing between Aragorn and I, Gimli on my other side. The leader of the riders got down off of his horse and walked to us, arrogance in his stride. He stood directly in front of Gimli and I, the only female and the dwarf, I guess to assert his dominance over us.

"What business does a man, two elves, and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" The man asked us with a questioning look.

"State your name and I shall give you mine." Gimli said, causing the man to look at him with an angry expression.

"If only you stood a half a foot taller, Dwarf, and I would have cut you down where you stood."

Legolas quickly drew his bow, aiming his arrow straight at the mans face, and I drew my dagger holding it towards his throat.

"You would die before your sword fell." Legolas spat at him.

Aragorn put one hand on his bow and the other on my dagger, signaling for us to lower our weapons. I put my dagger away quickly, Legolas doing the same with his bow.

"We are friends of Rohan, and of Theoden your king." Aragorn stated to the man.

The man removed his helmet, looking at each of us closely.

"Theoden no longer recognizes friend from foe, not even his own kin." He said to us, sadness filling his voice.

"Eomer?" I asked as I stepped forward, hoping the man would surely recognize me.

"Vani?"

I smiled as he hugged me tightly, remembering me from years ago when I helped him ward off orcs from Rohan, riding next to him leading the Rohirrim. He had longer hair than before, and facial hair. His build was much stronger, making him seem more intimidating.

"I'm glad you remember me!" I said as I pulled away from his hug and took a step back to be next to Aragorn once more.

"It has been many years since I saw you last, but I am glad to be able to lay my eyes upon you once again." Eomer said to me as he kissed my knuckles.

I heard Legolas scoff behind me as he did this, causing me to raise my eyebrows in his direction. I guess signs of affection were also one of his annoyances. Eomer whistled, causing three horses to come from the back of the group towards us.

"These horses came to Rohan. When I was banished, I brought them with us, thinking different riders could use them. But I thought this white one looked awfully familiar." Eomer said as he grabbed the reigns of her leading her forward.

"Alqua!" I stated loudly as I grabbed her reigns and laid my forehead against hers.

"Have you seen two hobbits? They would be a child's size to you, orcs carried them off this way." Aragorn stated as I mounted Alqua to prepare to continue on the journey.

"I'm sorry, but we killed anything that moved and burned the bodies. That is where all of the smoke is coming from." Eomer responded, concern filling his voice.

"No. They cannot be dead." I said, tears filling my eyes begging to stream down my face.

"I truly am sorry."

We all mounted our horses, our heads hung low, and headed towards the smoke that was billowing towards the sky. Tears began streaming down my face at the thought we didn't make it in time to save them as we approached the burning pile of bodies. I slowly got down off of Alqua, tears still filling my face, looking around for any trace that they may have gotten away. I looked to the middle of the pile and saw one of their belts burning along with all of the orc bodies. I reached in and pulled it out, looking down crying even harder than before. I felt a soft hand on my shoulder, comforting me as I held the belt to my chest. The hand belonging to Legolas as he wept behind me.

"ARGHHHH!" Aragorn screamed as he kicked a helmet and fell to his knees.

I walked over to him, falling to my knees next to him. His head was hanging low, when all of a sudden he turned it to the left looking at a mark on the ground.

"They lay here, but then began crawling." Aragorn stood up, following the drag marks on the ground where they were crawling.

He picked up a rope that was cut in half laying just a little ways ahead of where they were laying.

"Their bounds were cut." He stated as he dropped the rope and began following footsteps that led into the forest.

We approached the edge of the forest, looking at one another, before slowly entering behind them. We followed their footprints to an opening in the woods, when Legolas and I stopped abruptly, feeling a strong presence behind us.

"What is it, what do you feel?" Aragorn asked us softly.

""The white wizard approaches." Legolas answered him as he readied his bow.

I grabbed my dagger, silently pulling it out, while Gimli held his axe tight to his chest.

"Do not let him speak, for he will put a spell on us." Aragorn whispered as he pulled his sword half way out, ready to fight, "We must be quick."

I nodded at him, and we all turned at the same time, Legolas firing his arrow, and Gimli throwing his axe. My dagger and Aragorns sword burned red hot, causing us both to stop them as the wizard quickly knocked the arrow and axe away from him with his staff. I stood back, shocked at what had just transpired, looking towards Aragorn at what he suggested we do next.

"Two hobbits came through here, meeting someone that they did not expect." The deep voice of the wizard said to us as we all stood there shocked and defeated.

"Show yourself!" Aragorn yelled at him.

The man stepped away from the light, revealing himself to us. I smiled brightly at who was standing before me.

"Gandalf?" I asked in shock, a smile across my face.

"Yes, that is what they used to call me. I survived the balrog and became what Saruman was supposed to be. The two hobbits you seek are safe, the ents protecting them." Gandalf said to us as he led us to the exit of the forest.

As we got to the clearing, Gandalf whistled loudly, calling a very beautiful horse that resembled Alqua to him. I gasped at the sight of him, his beauty truly astonishing.

"Shadowfax. King of all horses, brother to your precious Alqua." Gandalf told me as he pet his mane.

As he mounted him, our own horses ran up behind him and we all mounted, heading towards Edoras.