Prologue

Y/N kicked a box out of the way. "This just sucks." The last thing they needed right now was a change. It was a hot June day. They should be at home, sleeping in their bed. But they're not. Instead, they're unloading boxes, in a new neighborhood. They picked up a box labeled "KITCHEN" and walked inside the house. Although no one had lived there for months, it still had a weird smell that Y/N didn't like. They placed the box on the bare counter gently before clapping any dirt off their hands. They looked up at the unfamiliar ceiling and walls, "This is not how I wanted to end my summer."

"Y/N, can you help me with these?" their mom called from behind the screen door.

"Coming!"

It was their mom's idea to move in the first place at the beginning of the year. She said she had gotten a better job and had thought it would be a good idea for "you kids to have a fresh start," but Y/N knew what their mom meant by that. It would've been a good idea. It had all the potential to be. Except it wasn't. Y/N didn't want to leave everything behind. You get used to living in the same area for 16 years. Even with the few friends they had, they didn't want to leave them. Their friends had promised to stay in touch but Y/N knew that wouldn't last long. Making friends was already hard, they couldn't imagine being able to make friends here, let alone getting used to the new area. Everything in this neighborhood looked different than what they were used to.

After Y/N and their mom finished carrying the remaining boxes inside, the sun had fixed itself over their heads. Y/N checked the time on their phone, "Goodbye to two hours of my day. Excluding the drive here."

"Come one, don't be like that," scowled mom. "You might like it."

"Might," Y/N repeated.

"Will," Mom corrected. She patted Y/N's back consoling-like.

Y/N shouldered it off jokingly. So, which one's going to be my room?"

"Uhm... it should be the one with the big window at the end of the hall upstairs."

Y/N picked up one of their boxes and headed upstairs. Successfully navigating their room, they placed the box down and went to get the rest. One by one, the boxes were collected until Y/N was sure that they got all of their belongings.

"Wait, Y/N, this is yours," their mom called. She pointed at a bigger box. " I packed it before we left, thought you might like to keep it."

Y/N was confused but took it nonetheless. It was quite heavy. They got to their room and dropped the box with a thud and crouched down. The flaps came open, revealing a dusty keyboard, piano books, and music sheets. A feeling of sadness and anguish washed over them as they comprehended what was in that box. Y/N stood up and turned away from the box. They were about to tell their mom they didn't need the box but a small, clammy hand touched theirs.

"Can we go to the park?" He asked. Y/N's two siblings looked up at them. Jeffery; their 5-year-old brother, and Belle; their 8-year-old sister. Jeffery shook their hand. "Can we?"

"We can try looking for one," Y/N suggested.

"Yes, yes!" Their siblings bounced.

Y/N pulled out their phone and searched for a nearby park. There was one seven minutes away on foot.

Y/N showed them the pictures. "Do you want to go here?" The two nodded excitedly and all walked downstairs. Y/N called out to their mom in the kitchen, who was sorting the kitchenware. "We're going to find a park!"

"Okay, be careful!" She called out back. "That's a good opportunity to take a look at our neighborhood."

The kids skipped down the driveway blissfully. Y/N gave directions and watched them carefully as their siblings ran down the sidewalks. With every block they walked, Y/N took in the new surroundings (whether they wanted to or not). It was different than their old neighborhood. The houses looked more new, sophisticated, lavish, and tall, more close together. It contrasted their older and smaller house. The new ones even had hedges and trimmed bushes. Their old house only had a rotting apple tree.

Once the park was in sight, the kids started sprinting towards it. "Slow down!" Y/N shouted running after them. Y/N didn't notice the football spiraling at them.

"Watch out!"

Y/N was abruptly tackled onto the ground. The attack was enough to knock the air out of their lungs. The person groaned and got up, "Are you okay? I'm sorry, let me help you up." He reached out and Y/N took his hand. He was tall, brown-haired, and had streaks of dirt all over his body from the fall. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Y/N replied. Their hip and arm broke the fall but their body ached. Their palm was slightly scraped but it wasn't bleeding. A lot at least. They winced.

The boy noticed. "Ah... is your hand okay?"

"Yes," they hissed, Pulling back their arm. "Be more careful next time."

"I'm really sorry," he apologized again.

"Dude, I can't believe you just rammed into someone like that." A pink-haired guy said as he jogged up to his friend, presumably. He leaned on the boy, grinning ear to ear, his sharp teeth flashing. "Especially not someone this good-looking."

"It's not funny," the brown-hair scolded. "Someone could've gotten hurt because you couldn't throw the ball properly. You're so reckless."

The pink-hair ignored his friend's comment. "Hey there, I'm Kazuichi. What's your name?"

Y/N stared at him, unamused. "I'm Y/N."

"Excuse us," the brown-haired side-glanced at Kazuichi. "But would you mind if I check out your injuries? I think I have some band-aids."

"It's fine. I can handle it myself." They glanced at their siblings who have already started playing. "I need to get going too."

"It won't take too long, wait here," they ran to a picnic table and fumbled with a backpack zipper. Y/N stood there annoyed until he came back with a few band-aids. "This was all I could do, let me put it on you."

"I'm fine."

Well, okay. I'm sorry, again." He handed them the band-aids.

Y/N picked at the band-aids with a scowl and ran over to the playground. Way to start off a new start, they thought to themself. Usually, they weren't this blunt with strangers. They were already annoyed with the moving, it didn't help that they got hurt too.

Y/N and their siblings ended up staying at the park for an hour. Or that is what Y/N planned until Belle and Jeffery begged for another 10 minutes. And another 10. Y/N sat under the shade, surveilling their siblings. They watched Jeffery chase after Belle around the obstacles. Jeffery almost caught Belle when he tripped over his foot and sent himself flying. Jeffery was already bawling by the time Y/N got to him. "Are you okay? Let me see." They stood Jeffery up, a small gash was visible on his knee.

"I didn't mean to," Belle stuttered.

"I know, it's okay."

"Is he going to be okay?"

"Does it hurt, Jeffery?"

"Yes," he wept.

Y/N wasn't sure on what to do when they remembered the bandages. They took one out and put it on Jeffery's leg carefully. "Is that better?"

Jeffery sniffled but nodded. Y/N now felt grateful for the earlier run-in. Belle kicked the wood chips, stalling a few seconds. "I'm sorry, Jeffery."

He smiled. "It's okay, we can still play?"

"Really?"

"Yes!"

"Oh no, I don't think so," Y/N said. "We should go home now."

"Five more minutes, please?" the kids begged.

"No, I can't risk you two getting hurt again. How am I supposed to explain this to mom?"

The kids pouted, but obliged.

They all started to walk home. Y/N made sure they wouldn't run anymore. They looked around the park. The two guys weren't there anymore. Y/N scowled at themself for looking for them.

What am I even doing? They were a little regretful with how they acted. Y/N wasn't really good with socializing, especially when in a bad mood. He was just being apologetic, was I coming off too rude? Then it hit them. The brown-haired boy never told his name. Y/N didn't give him the chance anyway. But It didn't matter now, he was already gone and they would probably won't even see him or Kazuichi again. Which was okay. It was a good thing.

Right?