Chapter 14

Ibuki FaceTimed later that evening, wanting to show Y/N her progress with the band costumes. It wasn't mandatory but knowing Ibuki, she would delightfully take any chance to express herself. It had only been a few days, but she had made progressive advancements.

"This is what I'm going for," Ibuki held up the drafted outfits. "I kind of want them to like, capture the essence of our band, you know?" She turned around to grab some pieces of clothing. "Because of the time, I don't think I can sew every individual costume so I'm just going to use some clothing I found at the thrift store and work from there. Look at all this red and white clothing! I even scored some pink ones too!"

"Do you have ideas in mind?" Y/N asked.

"Well, it's a Valentine's dance, right? I was thinking of designing something that looked like... I don't know, a diaper cupid?"

"That's the first thing you think of when you think of Valentine's Day? Is that even allowed?"

"Probably not, but what's life if you don't live a little?" When Ibuki saw Y/N's concerned reaction, she giggled. "Just kidding! I'm totally designing something different."

"What are you planning then?"

"I wrote some ideas down. Let me read them to you." She grabbed a slip of notebook paper with scribbles all over it. "Ahem, 'cupid wings, heart antenna headbands, a box of chocolates, queen of hearts, candy hearts...'"

"A box of chocolates? Like, as a costume?"

"Yeah! I saw some pretty good ones online, look." Ibuki held up another printed sheet of paper and presented it to Y/N. "Aren't these funny?"

"I mean, yeah," they admitted. "But are you sure whoever's wearing it is going to be able to play?"

"Uh... no, I haven't considered that." Ibuki put her things aside and turned her attention to a different sheet of paper and picked up her pen. "Box... of... chocolates... Bad idea. Oh well, I have other amazing ideas that I want to do."

"You have many... interesting ideas."

"Thank you," she giggled. "And you know what's perfect? Kazuichi already has pink hair. He's already completed, like, 25% of the look."

Y/N laughed. "That part's true."

"By the way, are you planning on coming to the dance?"

"I'm not sure."

"I think you should come. It'll be your first ever dance at the school and we could really use the support of our biggest fan."

"I heard the tickets were expensive."

"I'll convince the student council to make an exception for us. Hajime's in the council so maybe he'll help convince," Ibuki shrugged. "What about you? How's everything?"

"Me?" Y/N thought about the past few weeks. Nothing stuck out apart from an obvious topic—or person—glowing in their mind. "I've been okay."

"Awh, tell me more than just that."

"I don't really have anything going on."

"Don't lie to Ibuki."

There were words that wanted to pour out of Y/N's mouth, but the potential embarrassment forced Y/N to hold their tongue.

"I told you that you could tell me whatever, right?"

Is it really okay to tell her? they thought.

"Did Guppy get your tongue?"

"What?"

"Get it? 'Cat got your tongue'? Because you're not talking?"