Chapter 12

"Y/N, did you finish the problems?"

Nagito's voice drew Y/N back into the classroom. "Huh? Oh, yeah."

"You seem to be distracted. More than usual."

Y/N put their head on their desk. "No, I'm ready for school to be over. I can't do this anymore."

Some weeks had passed and now it was December. Winter break seemed to be approaching dreadfully slow and Y/N desired nothing more than to finally take a break from all the homework and assignments.

"I'm not exactly looking forward to it."

"Why?"

"I find school to be enjoyable."

"You're crazy."

"Not exactly. I would rather be at school because I don't have anything to do at home."

"Are you not going to do anything over break?" Y/N asked.

"I'm certain I will spend it at home."

"Won't you spend time with your family?"

"No, my parents don't come home from their business trips for holidays."

"What about your nanny?"

"She will be taking a few days off to spend time with her family."

"So you'll be alone?"

"It seems like it."

Y/N felt bad, not meaning to ask questions that had depressing answers. Out of impulse, they said whatever came out of their mouth. "Then... do you want to come over?"

"Pardon?"

Y/N was surprised at their own boldness. "You can come over for Christmas. My family and I have a small celebration."

"I appreciate your invitation," he said solemnly. "But I don't want to intrude on you or your family."

"No, I'm sure there's room for one more.I'll ask if it makes you feel better. You could check on Guppy too. He misses you."

Guppy was the new name of the cat that Nagito found a month ago. Since then, Nagito had only visited it once during that time period. Because of that, Y/N had been updating Nagito about the cat instead. On a different note, Belle was somewhat upset with the name choice since the name didn't suit the cat's fur like she wanted. There was no other reason for the name, just that Y/N liked it.

"Hm, alright. Still ask your mother, I would hate to intrude."

They did ask, and of course, Y/N's mom said yes. The only complaint she gave was a lighthearted comment about buying more ingredients, which weren't really needed. She's always over-prepared for the holidays.

It also showed through the way she decorated the house. Mom had always decorated her house warmly for Christmas. There weren't many decorations outside, but walking inside was like entering a cozy, Christmas wonderland. In the living room, the couches were decorated with crimson and pine-colored pillows; nutcrackers, reindeer, and elves would align with the ledges of the fireplace; stockings would hang above it. In other parts of the home, the stairway railings had garland twisted around them, mini artificial pine trees were placed around every surface, and gingerbread wafted through the air. Mom always liked Christmas-scented candles this time around. Although this year's Christmas tree was smaller, it didn't discourage her as she adorned it top to bottom with every possible ornament.

But something about the way the decorations felt had shifted over the past several years. It's not that Y/N minded, it always brought back a familiar, homey feeling. It just never seemed to be quite like how it used to be. Nonetheless, Y/N was relieved that Mom hadn't stopped decorating even after moving.