Part 15

Diluc followed (Y/N) to the kitchen, where she was now boiling some water over the stove.

He stood at the end of the small room, while she was at the other, facing her back to him.

"Wait..." Diluc spoke softly, "Do you... Remember?" He asked.

(Y/N) looked down, to the side, "No... But please..." She turned and smiled at Diluc, "Don't tell me." She said and grabbed some tea leaves to put in the boiling water.

As she put them in, she sighed, "I know my sister. I know the lengths she would go to. I would just... Rather not imagine that it's true... So whatever caused me to pass out... I don't want to know." She said and turned to Diluc.

Diluc walked over to (Y/N) and nodded, "Okay. Well... She's been arrested by the knights. She can't bother us for now, okay? So we can finally relax..."  He smiled at her as he walked her over to couch and sat down. 

(Y/N) sat down next to him and nodded. She gave him a small smile before looking away uncomfortably. Something about this just wasn't sounding right to her. Could this really mean freedom? Is it truly the end? 

Diluc put his arm around (Y/N)'s shoulders and looked at her, frowning, "Hey. Everything alright?" He asked.

(Y/N) looked down, "Uhm... This is it?" She looked up at him, "We're safe?" 

"I just... Find it hard to believe..." She added, frowning.

Diluc looked away and exhaled through his nose. "Here..." He pulled her in and hugged her.

yum

...

"(Y/N)... As long as I am here, beside you, nothing can hurt you." He comforted her, "Nobody can touch you. I won't let them. With me, you're safe... Okay?" He spoke softly as he put his hand on the back of her head.

(Y/N) couldn't help but smile a little. oh diluc my red man "Thank you..." She said

"You know... I love you." He blurted out and paused awkwardly after hearing himself. He went red in shame. "Oh- Uh! I... I apologise..."

(Y/N) went completely red. She quickly pulled back from him and stared at him. "I love you, too! I-I love you."

Diluc acted as though he hadn't just said the same thing. He covered his face with the back of his hand and furrowed his eyebrows. "Um- Thanks."

(Y/N) smiled from ear to ear. She laughed a little and hugged him again.

"We should uh!! Work!" Said Diluc suddenly. It looks like he couldn't think of anything to break the silence.

"Work?" (Y/N) repeated, mocking him slightly.

"Yes! Hey... You don't have a job anymore... Is that right?" He asked.

(Y/N) nodded slowly, "Yeah..." She sighed.

"Well- Why don't you come work at the tavern?" He suggested.

"You mean Angel's share?" She confirmed, "To clean?"

Diluc chuckled softly and shook his head, "As a barista. It's honestly easy work. I'll teach you."

(Y/N) nodded, smiling as she tried to picture it. "Okay!"

"You can begin tomorrow."

"Thank you..."

...

The next day, after all the necessary training, Diluc left (Y/N) to work independently at the tavern.

She had already been making and serving drinks for the past 2 hours, which was exhausting for her. 

She wiped some sweat off her forehead and the door shot open and in stepped her next customer.

Kaeya, the knight...

"The usual, please!" He announced loudly, with his arms out. He stopped in his steps on the way to the barstools when he opened his eyes. "Oh?" 

(Y/N) blinked at Kaeya.

"That'll be a dandelion wine for me." He said sweetly and sat himself down politely.

"Ooookay..." (Y/N) said awkwardly as she prepared the necessary ingredients.

Kaeya watched her for a bit in silence. "You alright, by the way? We arrested your sister, so don't worry. And... Don't listen to Diluc. The knights will help you. You can trust us!"

(Y/N)'s awkward expression lingered for a little as she passed him the drink, "Your wine..."

"Thank you, dear." Kaeya smiled as he held it up. He took a long sip and put the glass down, "Diluc getting you jobs now, hm? What, did he get lazy or something?" He chuckled smugly.

"Oh- No, no!" (Y/N) laughed nervously as she threw her hands up in front of her. "He just-"

"Hey!" Spoke a voice coming from behind (Y/N) as the tavern's backdoor slowly creaked open.

Diluc walked in, adjusting his ponytail, "What are you telling her?"

Kaeya's playful expression slowly faded. He looked unamused. "Nothing." He said as he swirled his wine around in the glass.

Diluc glared at him and then went over to (Y/N). His face turned happy. "How's work?"

(Y/N) nodded at him, smiling, "Good."

Diluc grabbed some glasses and started wiping them down with a towel. He glanced over at the bar, where sat a bard dressed in green. Well... He seemed to be passed out. His head was dropped by like 5 mugs.

Diluc sighed, annoyed. "Did he pay for all this yet?" He asked, aware of the bard's inability to afford this much.

"No..." Said (Y/N), confused.

"Okay. I'll cover it this time. But... Don't give this kid any drinks he won't be able to afford next time."

"Oh. Okay!" (Y/N) agreed. She didn't know Venti at all, so she was unaware of his habits in this tavern.

Diluc looked around, smiling. "Well... It looks like you did well!" He said, satisfied.

(Y/N) smiled at him, thankful.

"She did." Added Kaeya.

Diluc turned his head to him, "What?"

"She treated me and the rest of the customers very well!" He said, even though he was here for a mere couple of minutes. 

"Oh."

"Good." Diluc smiled.

"Well-" Kaeya finished the rest of his drink, "I'll be on my way now." He dropped some mora on the counter, "For (Y/N). With a generous tip."

(Y/N) smiled at him, "Ah, thank you!" She grabbed the money.

(Y/N) looked at Diluc, "Looks like I did well for my first day."

"You did excellently by the looks of it!"