Chapter 4

Meredith is whimpering in her sleep because of the nausea she is currently feeling.

Unknown to her, Derek and Maddie are currently at the front door of the house.

"Hi Derek, hi Maddie!" Richard said, smiling at the two. "Who's that Maddie?"

"Nanas! Daddy got him for me!" She said, hugging Derek's leg. "Where's Mama?" She says, looking around Richard for Meredith.

"She's sleeping. Do you want to come help me wake her up? I know she'll be so excited to see you."

Maddie nods. "Yeah! Wanna see Mama!" She grabs Richard's hand. "Come on Poppa! Nanas and me wanna see Mama!"

Richard and Derek laugh softly and both go with Maddie.

Maddie opens the door and sees her mom sleeping. "Daddy! Mama's sleeping! I'm gonna wake her!" Maddie runs into the room and climbs up onto the bed. She climbs on top of Meredith. "Mama, wake up." She whispers. She pets her mom's face. "Mama!! Wake up!"

Meredith groggily opens her eyes and sees Maddie sitting on top of her. "Hi baby!" She says.

"Hi! Me and Nanas are here!" Maddie says excitedly.

"I see that! Can I have a hug?" Meredith asks.

Maddie leans in and lays on top of her mom and wraps her arms around her. Meredith wraps her arms around her daughter as well.

"I love you Mama." Maddie whispers.

"I love you too baby girl. So so much." Meredith says and gives her a kiss on her forehead.

Meredith sees Derek standing at the door. "Hi Der." She says sleepily.

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

Meredith shrugs. "Little nauseous but I'll be fine." She says softly.

"I'll grab you something for it." Derek walks over and puts his hand on her clammy forehead. "You feel a tiny bit warm Mer."

"I'm fine." Meredith whispers. "I want to be with Maddie."

Derek nods, not wanting to argue with her. He leaves the room and comes back a moment later with some medicine. She quickly swallows it.

"Mads, what do you wanna do today?" Meredith asks. She wants her daughter to be happy even though she doesn't feel 100%.

"Can we go to the pwaygwound?"

Meredith nods. "We can. Do you want to have a picnic there?"

"Yeah! Can we bring cookies? And goldfish?" Maddie asks excitedly. "Nanas is a monkey so he likes nanas! We gots to bring nanas!"

"I think we can make that work!" Meredith smiles.

"Daddy! You gots to come too!" Maddie says.

Derek looks over at Meredith. "Is that okay with you Mer?"

Meredith nods. "That's fine." Meredith looks over at her daughter. "Maddie, why don't you go help Poppa get food ready for our picnic?"

"Otay Mama! Mama I gots a question."

"Yeah baby?"

"When we gonna see aunt Cwis? I miss her!"

"Soon baby, soon."

"Otay! Gots to go help Poppa now!" Maddie jumps off the bed and quickly runs to find Richard.

Now that they're alone, Derek looks at Meredith worriedly. He heard her whimpering in her sleep when they first got to her room and is worried about her. "Mer, how are you really feeling? You look exhausted. You don't have to go to the playground. I can take her and have a picnic."