Chapter 6

"Easy Mer, you got this." Derek said, supporting Meredith's body as she walked inside the house.

"Just wanna lay down and sleep." Meredith whispered.

"I know. Let's get you to your room and then you can sleep."

"Mama, can you cawwy me? I don't wanna walk anymowe!" Maddie asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Maddie, Mama can't hold you right now. I'm sorry." Derek told her.

"Why not?" Maddie asked tiredly, not understanding how the chemo is affecting her mom.

"She's very sleepy from her treatment today baby." Derek said as he guided a sleepy Meredith to her room.

Meredith wanted to pick up her daughter but she just had zero energy. She couldn't even gather the energy to talk much.

"Otay." Maddie sighed.

Derek opened the door to Meredith's room and helped her lay down. He covered her with the blankets and watched as her eyes immediately closed from exhaustion.

"Come on Maddie, let's let Mama sleep. Let's get some dinner and get you ready for bed."

"Cawwy me daddy?" Maddie asked, reaching her arms up for him to pick her up.

Derek picks her up and brings her to the kitchen where Richard and Adele are.

"Well hello Maddie! How was your day monkey?" Richard asked her.

"Weally good! I gots to pway and be with my Mama and Daddy!" Maddie says. "But Mama's sweeping now, so we gots to be quiet!"

"That sounds like a great day Maddie! And I made your favorite food for dinner tonight!" He says.

"Weally?" She asked, her eyes widening.

"I did! I made pasta!"

"'Getti?" She asks.

"I made spaghetti, just for you! I know how much you love it." Richard says.

"Mama loves 'getti too! I'll go get her!" She starts to get up but Derek stops her.

"Maddie, mama is sleeping." Derek says.

"But she gots to eat!" She whines.

"She's very tired from being in the hospital earlier, baby. She needs to get her sleep." Derek says softly to his daughter.

Maddie crosses her arms over her chest. "But Mama cuts up my 'getti for me! I need her!"

"I can cut it up for you sweetie." Derek says.

"No! Want Mama to do it!" Maddie frowns and is about to burst into tears. "Mama and I always eat together!"

"I know, baby, but she needs to sleep."

"No! No! No! Mama always cuts my 'getti! Not hungry daddy!" Maddie says, pushing her plate away.

Derek sighs. Maddie shares the same stubborn trait as Meredith so he knows it will be difficult to get her to eat without her mom.

"Want Mama!" Maddie sobs.

"What about we make a deal monkey? If you eat your dinner and let me help you get ready for bed then you can see Mama once you're all done? How's that sound?"

"Otay."  Maddie sighs, tears still falling down her face.

Maddie reluctantly starts eating her dinner after her dad cuts up spaghetti. She eats her dinner while tears continue falling down her face. She's very quiet during the whole dinner, only occasionally whispering that she wants her mommy.