8: "Well, I'm fine."

A/n:

(29/04/23) There were some edits on this chapter a while back but I didn't see why you'd need it in the title anymore.

You were working with the other Dauntless initiates, loading up trucks of food from Amity for the other Factions. You and Chris threw bags into a truck.

"So we pass the first stage of training and this is our reward." She threw another bag. "Glamorous." A light shone from behind some bags of grain onto the bag you were about to pick up. You wondered over to where it came from. You looked around.

A woman with (your mum's h/l h/c) and (your mum's e/c) stood there. You looked at her confused.

"Mum?" you hugged her.

"Oh my girl."

"Mum, what are you doing here?"

"I knew they'd assign you here sooner or later." She stood back and looked at you. "Look at you. God, you're so strong and beautiful."

"Mum you can't be here." You were panicking now. She might get hurt or thrown in jail or flogged.

"I know, but you are in danger. You weren't sick the day you took the test were you?"

"Why?"

"What were your test results? It's okay you can tell me."

"They were Abnegation... and Erudite and Candor and Dauntless."

"Divergent? You can't tell anyone. You can't trust anyone." An announcement telling all Dauntless it was time to leave came on the PA. "People have always been so threatened by Divergents. But now Erudite are looking for them everywhere, they are actively seeking them out."

"Why? Mum who- no, what am I?"

"You don't conform. Your mind works in a million different ways. They're scared of you. Stage two of training is where you're going to be most at risk. They're going to get inside your head and see how you respond to fear. But you can pass, you can make it through Dauntless. I've seen it before."

"How do you know so much about this? About Dauntless?"

"Never mind about me. Do not let them know who you are."

"Wait. Wait. Where you Dauntless?"

"Listen-"

"Hey!" a guard came round the corner. "What are you doing?" You look behind you but your mum is gone. "The truck is loaded, come on."

*At Dauntless, waiting to go into the fear sim*

You traced your tattoo on your wrist as you tapped your leg. You were restless, you wanted this to be over as soon as possible. You saw the door open and your leg bounced restlessly as Molly was carried out and you were worried.

"What did they do to her?" Chris askes. There was only three people left in the room, you, Christina and Peter. Four came out the door and called Chris. Her eyes widened and her body tensed as she rose shaking already, you grab her hand and she relaxes immediately. You smile at her and whisper it will be fine. She nods and walks through the door.

Five minutes pass in silence then there is a scream from inside of the room. You jump and feel like someone stabbed you in the heart as you hear your best friend's pain. You felt so helpless, the tears begin to make their way down your face. After a few seconds you feel a pair of hands pull you into his chest. You sobbed and cried in Peter's arms, as you listened to Christina's pained screams.

He pulled your chin up of you are looking him in the eyes and speaks softly.

"The screams have stopped, darling, you can stop crying." You shook with another sob and then a sigh of relief. Chris would be fine. Four came out with Christina in his arms, unmoving and not visibly breathing. He saw your red eyes and running makeup but decided to deal with that later.

"Hayes, take her to the hospital. She needs something to calm her nervous system." He handed Chris to Peter and her ran off with her.

"Will... Will she be okay?" he nodded and guided you into the room.

The room reminded you of the aptitude test room, but with no mirrors. The same style of chair sat in the middle of the room with the computer next to it and the bottles and bottle of liquid on another table.

"Take a seat." Four said quietly. You sat down as he began to prepare the liquid, your breaths heavy and uneven. Once he had the liquid ready he began to speak. "I'm going to inject you with a serum that stimulates the part of your brain that processes fear."

"Amazing." You said, voice laced heavily with sarcasm.

"It induces a hallucination." Four continued. "and then transmitters in the serum allow me to see the images in your mind.

"This sounds fun."

*WARNING: Fear sim may cause triggers.*

y/m/n = your mum's name

You're in the smaller training room and there is a gun on the table and three figures bound with bags over their heads on their knees. You walked over and Dan stood behind the three figures. You looked to him with distain, you had half a mind to just shoot him.

"Subject one: Peter Hayes, lover." He said in a monochrome voice as he pulled the bag off Peter's head, you gasped as you realised what you had to do. "Subject two: y/m/n Turner, mother." He pulled the bag off your mother's head and her eyes widened with fear. "Subject three: Christina Barbosa, best friend." He pulled the bag off Chris' head and you saw her face shining with tears. He handed you the gun. "Pick one to live, one to die and one to wound." You shook your head.

"No, no, no." you wailed and Dan disappeared. You kept screaming no over and over again like a mantra until something clicked. You looked at your reflection in the metal table. "This isn't real." You put the gun on the floor and sank into the table.

*Peter's pov*

I ran back as soon as I could, not wanting to leave y/n for too long. She didn't seem stable enough to be going into a fear sim. I heard Four say "deal with what's in front of you." And then the screams began. For one tortuous minute I heard the love of my life's screams over and over, cursing, and sputtering and panting and coughing and more screams. I heard her sobbing then with a final heart wrenching scream I thin she woke up.

I could hear the low murmur of voices and I decided to give her a minute before knocking the door down and wrapping her in my arms.

*back to your pov*

"It's alright, it's alright." Four placed a hand on your shoulder and comforted you. "You okay?" he let go as you shook your head and placed it crying into your hands.

"No. Fuck no." you screamed again at the memory.

"How long do you think you were in the hallucination, y/n?"

"Twenty minutes?"

"One. Twelve times faster than the average. I've never seen someone do so well on their first time." He paused. "How did you get out of killing them?"

"I can't remember." You lied.

"Well next time it'll be a lot easier."

"I have to do that again?" you whimpered as Four nods.

"But you'll be fine. I have a feeling he will see to that." Four motions to the door where Peter stands, you run to him wrapping your arms around his neck.

"You screamed. A lot." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I was terrified." You stood on tip toe and kissed him, slowly and passionately.

"Well, I'm fine." You said you'd wait outside for him and so you did, eight minutes of antagonising yells. But you waited for your love. You waited for the boy who cared for you even if no one else did.

1271 words.

A/n:

Hey y'all, god i am tired. I've been up since 11 pm uk time on august the 29th until now (01:40am 31st august) with no sleep apart from the two hours i snagged earlier.

how do you like it?

Love Ocean