16: "Thank you brother."

*time skip to the celebration speech*

Max stood in front of everyone giving the speech for all of you.

"Congratulations," he paused for effect and you rolled your eyes. "New members of Dauntless."

There was cheering and whooping from the crowd. Everyone began to chant "Dauntless. Dauntless. Dauntless." over and over like a mantra of mind control and love. Will kissed Chris and you whooped. Then a pair of hands were around your waist, you recognised their texture, soft palms, tough fingers, like sandpaper on your skin. But you loved it. Melting into Peter's arms you heard him whisper,

"Well done darling." It made you remember that night of the chasm.

*flashback*

Four left to get blankets for Peter and himself. You closed your eyes, pretending to be asleep. You feel Peter turn his gaze to you and know he assumes you are asleep.

"Goodnight darling. I love you." He whispers and kisses your forehead.

(time skip to the morning)

"Morning sunshine." Peter said once Four left.

"Don't you mean 'darling'?" His face dropped.

"You heard that?" His face got redder and redder as you sat there.

*end*

Then he took you by surprise and snapped you out of your daze by crashing his lips to yours and passionately kissing you. When he pulled away you struggled to regain your breath.

"I love you." He whispered. You hadn't heard him say that since the night of the chasm. That time he thought you couldn't hear him, but now he wanted you to know. You smile and whisper back,

"I love you." That was the first time you had said those words. (Well unless you count the time when you were nine and you told Caleb you loved him) But you didn't count it.

Will grabbed your arms and pulled you up onto a table then jumped off it and tackled you onto his back. Running through the crowds with Chris at his side and you on his back, you couldn't help feeling this is how it was meant to be. This way. The three of you. And Peter. In Dauntless. Forever.

You arrived in the pit and leaders were telling everyone to get in line.

"What's going on?" You ask, terror filling your body as you slip off Will's back. You feel someone grab your sides protectively. It didn't feel like Peter, and besides you could see him with Uriah over in the corner so you assumed it was Will. But when he passed you and joined another line you went to turn around but you were interrupted by Eric who came up to you with a syringe.

"Congratulations. You should be first in line." He says but you don't really care, you want to find out who is holding you. "But... I'll make it easy for you." He goes to move your hair and inject you but a hand lifts from your side and stops it.

"Let me." Four. Your eyes narrow as you see Four come in front of you.

"We need to talk later. Alone. But make sure we are somewhere someone can hear you scream. As a precaution." You hiss when his ear is next to your mouth, seething at him. Eric looks between you two.

"Something wrong?" He looks to Four but he stays quiet as he injects you. Then Eric's gaze fixes on you. "Y/n? Four isn't hurting you is he?" If you didn't know better you'd think Eric was worried, but you did. Still, that look in his eye... You shake your head. There it was again. A look. He seemed... relieved? No he couldn't be. "Good. Now you're really one of us."

*time skip to the middle of the night when everyone is getting ready*

You wake up and see everyone getting changed in silence. You look over and Chris and whisper;

"Yo Chrissy?" You used that nickname because she wouldn't resist telling you off even if it was all a sick joke or if you would get thrown out of Dauntless for talking. "Christina?" You hadn't used her full name for a while, in fact you couldn't remember when you last used it. but she still ignored you. Then you noticed everyone else was doing the same thing, in the same way, robotically. Crap. It must be the serum. But you're divergent so it isn't working on you.

You look over to another bed and see Tris only just waking up as well. 'I knew it!' you mentally yell and then grab your boots and do the same thing as Chris. Tris moved over and sat on your bed. She used the code you had made up with her and Caleb when you were in Abnegation.

'What's happening?'

'Don't know. Go with it. Copy others.'

'K.'

There was a long pause as you got dressed and then the others started to file out. You copied the rhythmic beat of their feet. It was only as you left that you noticed Eric standing at the door. You felt Tris tapping you lower back to ask you.

'What is he doing here?!'

You shrug but only enough so she would see. Eric puts a hand in front of you and you halt, Tris almost walking into you. He looks at you with sad eyes, the kind you'd look at a dead friend or old relative with.

"Oh dear sister, what have you become?" You tried not to change your blank expression but clearly it failed as Eric's face changed fast. He pulled you out of the line and waved the rest on. Tris tried to keep her terror off her face but you saw it as she marched away.

"Lauren?" Eric asked.

"W-w-what?" you stammer, a loss for words.

"Divergent?" His face is confused.

"Sister?"  You exclaim, equally as confused.

"Got to get you out of here." He whispers, hand on his chin.

"Explain." You demand, referring to the 'sister' sentence.

"They'll kill you." He realises, still focused on you being divergent.

"Plan?" You question, finally following his train of thought.

"No." He says, terrified.

"God." You cuss a little, freaking out. Then he laughed.

"I remember doing this when we were young over the phone."

"Huh?" you think you would have remembered phoning a brother when you were younger.

"That's a long story."

"I have time."

"No! No you don't." he grabbed your arm and dragged you down the corridors and up to the surface and to the tracks. You saw all of Dauntless with guns slung over their shoulders. You saw Four, Tris, Will and Chris but you couldn't see Peter. You began to panic, scared about what might have happened to him. Eric saw your panic and turned to you.

"What's wrong?" He asked, panic for you on his face. For the first time you really felt like you had an older brother.

"Peter, I can't find him." Eric was relieved.

"I had him taken out of the sim. Told Jeanine he was valuable. He's safe." You smiled and then the train came up. You and Eric ran side by side for a little before the train reached you, then he pulled himself into the train and helped you up afterwards.

You sat down on the floor with Eric and whispered to him.

"Thank you brother."

1164 words

A/n:

I hope you guys like it. I'm trying to tie the reader into the world of Divergant.

enjoy the book.

Love Ocean xxx