20: "Together in death."

Sorry to those who read this before the update just now. I have changed the bit at the end. Ilygsm!

You have to admit your dad was pretty smart. He could have been Erudite if he wanted, or stayed in Dauntless. He had told you only twenty minutes ago that he and your mother were Dauntless borns. Now I realised it was obvious. The way the gun sat in his hand and the way she had shot so precisely. The bravery required to die for their daughter. Of course they were Dauntless.

But your dad was smart too. Maybe that's why he sent Eric to Erudite, other than the fact his sister was there. I found out so many things today. My grandparents were Divergent. My father and mother both had been. Eric wasn't. I was. It was strange.

The memory of Eric hurt. I had only known him for a short amount of time but he had become truly the big brother you wanted. You had calmed down a bit but your anger for Tris still raged. You were also angry at Marcus, but less so as you hated Four. As you ran through the streets, grabbing guns and ammo off the dead soldiers you tried to rid your mind of them. If you kept thinking about them you'd die.

Some people had stayed behind at the old hideout, a small team of you, your father, Andrew, Marcus, Caleb and Tris went to Dauntless. Will wanted to come but he was far too injured to join you. Your heart broke when you saw the pain in his eyes as you and your team jumped on the Dauntless train.

After a while you got up.

"Get ready." Tris nodded with confidence, knowing what was to come, as did your father but Tris' father, Caleb and Marcus looked worriedly at you.

"What now?" Andrew asked, gulping.

"You're not gonna like it." You reach over and hit the button to open the doors and take a few paces back so you were almost at the closed door. "Dad go." He grins at me and leaps out of the car, landing on the roof. Marcus goes next, then Andrew. I shove Caleb in front of me, I don't need to tell him, he jumps. He jumps further than Andrew and Marcus and yet still lands further away from the side. My father has already stood up and dusting himself off. "Go Tris!" You yell and she leaps. You don't watch her as you are now absorbed in your own world.

You remember the first time you did this jump. Back then you had Christina and Dan. Now it was just you. Taking a run up you jump out the door and landing on your side and rolling into a crouch. Now you can look up. Tris jumped and missed slightly. She didn't make it but hasn't fallen yet.

Somewhere inside you a vicious voice chants: "Fall. Fall. Fall." But she does not. Her father and Marcus hall her up and pant heavily on the roof. Running to the other edge of the roof you stand on the same ledge that Eric stood on when you first arrived at Dauntless. Soon everyone is crowded around you. Even your father looks worried now, he may have jumped from the train to buildings before but he won't have been asked to jump off a building if he picked Abnegation.

Before you can turn a voice form the back of the crowd makes you jump.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" the Erudite boy who wasn't supposed to be here asked.

Turing to face Will you balance, precariously, on the ledge. Glaring through your tears you almost whisper,

"I guess you'll have to find out. Or not."

"Someone's gotta go first, so who's it gunnu be?" Tris asked, finishing what Eric had said, all those months ago.

"Me." You walk back and peered over the edge.

"Today, Initiate." Will snapped, just like Eric. You turned around so you were facing him.

"I'll do it in my own time thanks." You laugh. "Not like anyone else wants too." Then you flipped backwards off the roof and whispered sucker up to Will, just as you had so long ago to Eric. Thud as you hit the net laughing silently. Quickly and quietly you roll off. Today there will be no Four, today you will have to help people off.