10: "Back to Dauntless."

You weren't ready to go back to everyone yet, not ready to go into the fear sim again. You needed to go somewhere else. But you had nowhere, more specifically no one. Then a lightbulb turned on. Caleb. He might not be blood; he might be Erudite but he was your closest thing to family right now.

You got on the train and sat on the floor, leather jacket in hand. You were wearing a tight long sleeved black crop top and ripped black shorts. Your combat boots had seen better days but they were good enough to walk in. You had done you y/h/c hair up in a high, messy bun (sorry if you have short hair) and put on a little mascara and eye liner.

The train arrived at the Erudite quarters after half an hour and you jumped off. As you walked in everyone stared at you. It was obvious you were Dauntless and people were confused as to why you'd be here. You entered the large central dome and went up to the second level.

You saw Caleb walking towards you as you came down the glass corridor towards the desks.

"Lauren?" he looked at you confused as other Erudite members stared.

"Hey Caleb." You hugged him, although he was confused he hugged you back. As you hugged you remembered the last time you two talked.

*flashback*

Peter shoved one of the Abnegation. Beatrice moved to stand up for them but Caleb stopped her but there was nothing stopping you.

"What's your problem man? We are selfless, we give to the Factionless. You clearly aren't picking Candor because you are talking lies."

"Whoa. Al'ight don't get all like that."

"Then don't shove my friends and insult my Faction. Now piss off." He walked off his friends looking at you in disgust but you just put your middle finger up and walked off. Caleb, who was like your older brother, looked at you in horror and Beatrice silently high-fived you.

"What are you doing? Lauren that was not selfless or smart at all. It wasn't kind and there was nothing to gain."

"I stood up for a kid, that was selfless. I could have been hurt. As for smart and kind, it's a good thing we aren't Amity or Erudite." You looked away and Beatrice sniggered. Caleb glared at her and then gently shoved you, to show forgiveness but annoyance.

*flashback end*

"What are you doing here?" he asked, worry in his eyes.

"I'm in trouble." He took your hand and led you to a small room, away from everyone else.

"What's happening?"

"I'm not going to make it in Dauntless. I don't fit in there." He looked at you with sorrow in his eyes, but a twinge of annoyance as well.

"You have to fit in there."

"I can't." you said, voice steely and cold. "I'm not like them." You lied. You remembered your test results, Abnegation, Erudite, Candor and Dauntless. 'Glad I didn't pick Candor.' You thought as Caleb looked at you suspiciously.

"You have to fit in." he repeated. "You've got nowhere else to go."

"Maybe Abnegation?" You said but you didn't mean it. even if your parents took you back you wouldn't fit in anymore.

"You can't go back. They'd never let you do that."

"Who?"

"Erudite. They're not going to let Abnegation break any more rules." You scoffed.

"They actually think they're running the government now?" you rolled your eyes.

"Well they might be very soon." Your eyes widened at what he said. "Erudite should be in charge. Certainly not Abnegation."

"Caleb that's our old faction. Our fathers are the two of the three main people who help run the government!"

"It's what all the other factions want."

"No. that's what they are telling you here..."

"It's true."

"It's not!" you yelled. Someone shushed you. "It's not. There are liars here. People who know how to manipulate you." Your voice lowered.

"Lauren." He whispered. "I think you should go."

"Faction before blood. Yeah? And I'm not even blood. Caleb you were the only person I had left. Your sister turned on me, my parents hate me. I thought you'd be different. I was wrong." He looked hurt. As the tears welled in your eyes. You walked away.

Two men in all blue suits walked up the stairs you were coming down.

"I need you to come with me." One said to you. You kept walking. He put his hand on your shoulder and you thrust your elbow into his neck and kicked him in the stomach. He fell back. The other went to grab your other shoulder but you grabbed his hand and went to punch when a woman's voice rang out.

"Stop!" The man let you go and you looked up following his gaze to a tall blonde woman with bright red lipstick and a business skirt, blazer and shirt, all in deep, Erudite blue, on. "Are you alright?" she asked you, leaning over the glass banister.

"I'm fine. No thanks to your goons." You snapped, rearranging your jacket and hair then turning to continue down the stairs. You had realised the woman was Jeanine, head of Erudite.

"Come with me." She said and you, unwillingly followed her to an office. "Please sit down." You sat in the large blue chair opposite her and a girl, about nineteen, poured you tea.

"Thanks." You said, voice still cold.

"I'm glad you came here today, Y/n."

"You are? I though people didn't really like me." She laughed, you didn't. It wasn't a joke.

"Oh. Are you happy with your new faction?" she tried to change the topic.

"Yeah."

"But you came to see Caleb."

"I just... wanted to talk with him."

"Have you seen your parents?"

"No."

"It's hard to let go." She took a sip of tea. You hadn't touched yours. "Faction before blood. It's an important ideal but a hard one. It goes against our fundamental human nature. But that is a weakness we need to overcome."

"You think human nature is a weakness?"

"I think it is the enemy. It's why we lie, steal, keep secrets. Irradiate that and you have a stable society. You would help me with that wouldn't you?"

"Me? How would I help you?" You didn't want to work with Jeanine to kill other Divergents. You didn't want to work with Jeanine, period. But you did wonder how she thought you could help.

"You're aware that Abnegation are undermining the Faction system and they are breaking laws and harbouring Divergents?"

"No. But if they are then I'm glad I left." Your eyes burned. It couldn't be true.

"See, I need to know that I can count on you to enforce the law, even if it's been broken by someone close to you, someone you care about."

"Of course." You bit back the tears. 'She's lying. Liar, liar!' you thought.

"Good." She gave you a small smile and you gave her a strained one back. "Then I'll have my car take you back to Dauntless."

1123 words.

A/n:

Sooooooooooo what do y'all think? Jeanine is trying to find Divergents but is she onto you????? and you just realised that now you only have Peter, Christina, Will and Al but what if you lose some of them??????????????????????????

find out next chapter. parents are forcing me to go socially interact with humans so i have to go but the next chapter is coming soon.

Love Ocean