Chapter 9: Defy Defeat

Leo sat on the floor next to his bed all night, waiting until Willow woke up again. It was almost noon when Willow finally shifted and opened her eyes.

"Leo." She looked at him and frowned. "Where are we?"

"My room." He explained. "I thought you might need the bed more than me."

Willow smiled softly. "Thanks."

Leo stood up. "You must be hungry. I can go get something; what would you like?"

"I'll come with you." Willow decided, moving Leo's blanket to the side.

"No, just... Just stay here and rest." He told her gently.

Willow frowned. "I need to move, or my legs will atrophy."

Leo sighed. "I know about it."

"Know about what?"

He nodded to her legs. "That you're paralyzed."

Willow scowled. "It doesn't matter."

"What do you mean it doesn't matter?" Leo asked. "You can never walk again."

Willow scoffed. "If I want to walk, I'm gonna walk. No stupid nerves are going to stop me."

"It doesn't work like that." Leo pointed out. "You can't use your muscles. You can't put weight on it. Willow, you cannot walk."

"I can and I will." Willow glared.

She shifted her uninjured leg to the floor and Leo pursed his lips as she transferred her weight to it, the other one hanging limpy beneath her. Willow's arms were straining against the wall, trying to help relieve the weight.

Willow looked at Leo with a defiant grin. "See? Only day two and I'm already stand-"

Willow's knee buckled and she went falling forward, away from the bed. Leo lunged forward and grabbed her arms.

Leo tried to give her a look, but Willow looked away in embarrassment. He sighed and wrapped her arm around his shoulder.

"Alright, fine." He decided. "Let's go."

Willow attempted to hobble along with him, leaning heavily on the blue clothed turtle. It took far longer than needed, but they eventually reached the kitchen.

Mikey looked up at them in glee, two pizzas hanging out of his mouth. "Mmeeeyyy!"

"Hey." Willow replied lightly.

Leo helped her sit down and then moved away.

"I missed you!" Mikey hugged her.

"Careful." Leo warned him.

Willow shot Leo a look. "I missed you too."

Leo scowled and turned around, pulling a pizza out and putting it down.

"I'm going to go tell the others." Mikey grinned, running off.

Willow looked at Leo. "Thank you."

He nodded and sat down.

Willow huffed. "What do you want me to say? That I'm made of glass and can't be touched?"

Leo glared. "I just want you to be careful."

"Why?" Willow demanded. "What more could possibly happen?"

"You could die!" He exclaimed. "I would lose you!"

There was a moment of silence and Willow's expression softened.

Leo looked away. "I just... I don't want my family getting hurt... and you're one of us now."