Chapter 18: Apples and Trees

The mystery group never followed them after the border, at least, that they knew of. Most of them fell asleep as the sun began to set, with the exception of Raph, Karai, and Leo, who was driving. The three of them spoke quietly in the front of the van, trying to come up with a plan to return and find Splinter. Stop the Kraang and the Footclan.

By the time they reached the farmhouse, they still didn't know what to do. Maybe they would stay for a week or two until Donnie's wrist healed and they had prepared enough.

After all, it was them against an entire alien invasion.

Leo stopped the car and turned around to wake the others as Karai and Raph got out. His eyes lingered on Willow, who was sleeping peacefully behind the driver's seat.

He sighed and stood up. "We're here."

Blinking away, everyone filed out tiredly and headed into the old house. Leo headed for the farthest room and huffed, sitting down on a couch and putting his head in his heads.

Someone knocked on the doorframe and he looked up.

"Hey." Willow smiled softly. "I, uh, wanted to make sure you're all right."

"Always." He returned her smile tiredly. "You should probably head off to bed, it's been a long night."

Willow shook her head and walked over, sitting down next to him. "Leo, come on. You can talk to me."

He leaned against her as Willow wrapped her arm around his shell. The two of them sat together for a moment before Willow gently pushed him off.

"Leo."

He sighed. "Can't we just relax for one night?"

"I wish, but I know you'll avoid me tomorrow." She told him. "Come on. What's wrong?"

"Aside from Splinter? The Kraang? Shredder?" Leo scoffed quietly. "The better question would be, what isn't wrong?"

She frowned. "Okay, what isn't wrong?"

Leo gave her a look. "That was rhetorical."

Willow shrugged. "Well, answer it anyway."

"My brothers are here. Karai finally stopped working with Shredder. You're here." Leo brushed his hand across her cheek. "You being here makes all the difference."

She smiled. "All thanks to you."

"Me?" Leo blew a raspberry. "You escaped all on your own, I just found you."

"Just?" Willow leaned back into him again. "Just saved my life."

Leo smiled endearingly and pulled something brown and wrinkled out. Willow's eyes widened.

"Guess what else I saved?"

She snatched the leather-bound book from his hands and grinned. "Leo, you are my hero."

Leo shook his head. "So what do you think about the cloaked guy?"

"I'm here to make you feel better, Leo, not talk about my problems again. It's always, Willow this, Willow that, but tonight is going to be all about you." She told him.

Leo rolled his eyes. "Of course everything is always about you. Who would want to talk about some stupid turtle?"

Willow smacked his arm. "Leonardo, no no."

"It true." He moved her chin closer. "You're the most intelligent, funny, resourceful girl I know."

"You don't know many girls." She smirked.