❦ 1

CHAPTER 1
" We really miss you "

" All the TIME I sit and try, you think I'd Be DOWNEvery night , I'm sickened, why?Oh, I'm stayin' UP this time "

Be DOWN
Every night , I'm sickened, why?
Oh, I'm stayin' UP this time "

Staying up
The Neighborhood

TW: mentions of suicide

Aria's head slowly rose from the table, she uncomfortably was resting her head upon. Loose paper scattered on the cheap dining room table. A groan fell from her lips as her eyes adjusted to the harsh light peering through the curtained windows.

Her eyes stayed squinted while removing her head from her arms, the some what supported her on the wooden table. Her body ached from the arched over position. She had no clue how long she'd been positioned like that for, but due to the lack of feeling on her arms, she guessed it was quite long.

Aria pushed her messed up bangs away from her vision, stretching her body out. Her arms stinger with the pins and needles feeling, hissing at the feeling.

As if something clicked into the teenagers mind, she began to frantically began a search for her phone, completely ignoring the stiffness in her body.

She stood up, beginning to look under the scattered papers, and around the table. Until she finally found it lying under a thick stack of blank sheets of paper.

She flipped over her phone, her face falling into a relaxed state, reading the time.

Aria had to go to her school Assembly, supporting the awareness of suicide. She had came up with the idea, feeling sick to her stomach that the school didn't seem it was important enough.

Aria made the grave mistake of not picking up on the signs. She was to late to stop it from happening. The death of her best friend took place only 6 months ago, on March 5th, the horrifying day that she could never forgot.

Horrid thoughts often plagued Aria's mind, bringing her back to when she found his lifeless body.

Her mind replaced the good memories to the thoughts of her best friends life less body. How pale, and at peace his body looked, only scared her even more.

The image never left her mind.

She was afraid of letting her best friend down again, and by not showing up to her own assembly would only make it worse.

Aria would always imagine her best friend—Brandon, watching down on her, laughing at the stupid mistakes she often made. Or cry with her as tears pooled out of her eyes, mourning over him.

It hit her so hard that she distanced herself from everyone she knew, including her mom. They luckily gave her the time she needed, but it soon turned into no taking at all, like they had become stranger all over again.