❦ 8

CHAPTER 8
" Anybody wanna skip next period with me? "

" I should've STAYED at home'Cause right now I see all these PEOPLEthat LOVE meBut I still feel ALONE "

'Cause right now I see all these PEOPLE
that LOVE me
But I still feel ALONE "

Best friend
Rex Orange County

Jaden fixed the back pack that rested on one shoulder, preparing himself to knock on the door. He took a deep breath, and brought his fist up to the door. Jaden overthought this whole moment. Not only would he have to deal with what Aria said, but also her mother.

The Jaden was the only person that was fully aware of Aria's home situation. He was utterly terrified of June. Nobody ever knew what mood she was going to be in. Jaden could never understand what it would be like for kids like Aria. He and his siblings had an amazing life, full of loving parents and family. But for Arias sake, he tried to understand.

Finally getting the courage he knocked on the door. He thought about turning around, but he made a promise to Aria, and he was going to keep it. He never wanted to let her down, not again.

Jaden could here someone yell "coming", and then the faint sound of footsteps getting closer to the door. To Jadens surprise June opened the door. Both looked surprised to see each other. 

"Jaden" She spoke excitedly, her voice hoarse. He could smell her breath, and it stunk like cigarettes and beer. It was even worse when she brought him in a bone crushing hug.

Jaden arms stayed by his side, freezing up with wide eyes. He didn't know what to do, nor did he know why the lady was hugging him. She pulled out of the hug, arms resting on his shoulders. "Ah, haven't seen you in forever" she smiled, showing her crooked teeth.

Jaden held a pursed lip smile, nodded his head awkwardly. "Yup"

"You must be here for Aria" she suggested, removing her hands from his shoulders, grabbing her left cigarette off the counter, holding in between her fingers.

"Um, yeah, where is she?" He asked, looking around the house. He noticed the beer cluttered couch, the slanted pictures frames of Aria as a child, that were now turning yellow from lack of care.

Instead of June answering the boy, she yelled out. "Aria! You're boyfriends here"

Jaden chocked on air, his eyes widening from embarrassment. "Oh I'm not her—"

She cut him off with a pat to his shoulder. He noticed that both Aria and June loved to do that. "Whatever you say kid" June staggered over to the couch with a cigarette between her lips. Grabbing the remote, she plopped down onto the couch, switching through the channels.

Jaden jumped when he heard a door slam, louder than he expected. He heard June chuckle, his head turning her way. "You'll get used to it, that little bitch is always throwing tantrums."