❦ 6

CHAPTER 6
" And I mean it "

" Does it FEEL like everything's just likeSecond best after THAT meteor strike? "

Second best after THAT meteor strike? "

Question...?
Taylor Swift

It had been hours since Aria last checked the clock, and she had no intention of checking it any time soon. She had left her phone back in the car, making sure she nobody could bring her from the peace she was filling at the moment.

The only thoughts that hurt her, were the fact that this was their spot. Or was their spot. Now it was more of Aria's spot, she doubted Jaden ever came back to the spot, or even remembered it.

The two would always visit when they walked home from school, or the days their parents aloud them too. It was mainly Jess and DJ who gave them permission, June could have cared less where they went or what they did.

The silence was soon gone when footsteps approached Aria, making her more aware of her surroundings. She was quick to turn her head around, ready to make a run for it. But instead she wasn't met with a threat, instead someone she'd been avoiding.

Aria let out a annoyed huff, relaxing back into her spot. Even with the signs Aria showed that she wanted to be alone, Jaden only ignored them. Knowing he needed some way to talk to her.

It was clear for him that she'd be here. When wasn't she? Many times Jaden had come here and Aria was here, so he left, not wanting to face her. He normally had to come in the early morning in order to actually be there when Aria wasn't.

Jaden sighed, carefully sitting beside Aria, who stared forward, not daring to look over to the boy.

The only other time the two had been like this when they were at their spot. Was when they were fourteen. A time we're the two were always bickering. Yet they still stayed beside each other. One thing they no longer had.

Aria sat comfortably at the edge of the cliff, thinking over everything they had said. She truly didn't understand why they had said it, or what made them say it. And certainly she didn't understand why he laughed.

She noticed how Jaden was slowly grouping with the people who got more attention in school. All because his brother got famous. And while he was trailing behind the more popular people amongst the school, he also left Aria behind. Left wondering what she did wrong.

She had cried about it for hours, feeling stupid for even giving it a second thought. Aria was told by her mom that she was being selfish for caring about herself and not the problems June was dealing with. But Aria was to naive to realize that her feelings did to matter. Far more then Junes.

When Aria looked over to her side, she could see Jaden walking up to her. She cursed herself for how she looked. Her nose, cheeks and lips were red form crying. And she was sure he could see it. Aria expected him to make fun of her for it too.

Although Jaden didn't. He just calmly sat besides the girl, feeling like shit on the inside. He could tell by her face just how much that hurt. Not only the words from the kids, but along with the way he laughed. He knew why he laughed. Not that the joke the kid said was funny, but he wanted to show he was apart of them. He wanted to feel like he was just as important as his twin. Who tended to grab the attention away from Jaden immediately and straight onto him.

Aria was hesitant at first, not knowing wether she should get up or stay.

All there was, was silence. Only thing that could be heard was their slow breathing, as they watched the sun shine bright onto the lake in front of them.

Jaden cleared his throat. "Um—i shouldn't have laughed with them" he took a quick glance towards Aria to see if she was listening. But all he saw was her staring forward. He nervously tapped his fingers on the rock, waiting for her response—If she even would.

Aria stopped the tears from pooling in her eyes, not wanting him to see her cry. Never had Aria been ashamed to cry in front of him. Now, she was scared he would make fun of her for being pathetic.

She looked down at her lap, not knowing if she could look him. "Then why'd you do it?" She said quietly. Jaden almost missing her words.

The fourteen year old didn't know what to say. He didn't want to say the truth, knowing he'd look even more stupid. "I-I don't know"

Aria stopped looking down at her lap, finally looking up to her side to see the boy. "You don't know, or don't want to tell me?" She questioned harshly.

Jaden broke eye contact, looking at his lap shamefully.

Aria scoffed, knowing he wasn't going to say a word. "I have always been by your side, with everything" she pointed strongly to herself. "But the minute some attention seeking kids show up, you ditch me". She was still staring at him, waiting for the moment he looked up. "At least look at me!" She snapped, but it was to no avail. Jaden kept his head down, knowing he couldn't look up at her.

She scoffed once again as he pathetically kept his head down. "Fuck you" she exclaimed while slowly getting up. "And I mean it"

Jaden clenched his eyes shut, stopping the tears that were soon to flow. He listened as her foot steps faded away against the gravel. He wanted to stop her and tell her why, but he couldn't. The boy felt like a dick. And he was sure it was going to take a long time for Aria to ever accept an apology.

The boy finally opened his eyes, looking back to make sure Aria was gone. And once he checked, he turned his head back around letting a pain filled sob out. He continued to cry out of frustration and sadness.

Jaden brought his legs up to his chest burying his head in his knees. Not caring that his legs were wet from tears.