three - Too Late

// t r o y e //

I had to tell him. He needed to know. It was breaking my heart.

"Connor, I like you, like... A lot"

His eyes looked into mine and I could feel him judging me. He wouldn't break the stare. My hands were trembling in my lap.

"I'm sorry, I can get over it I swear, things can be the same" I told him, my voice breaking from the tears. Connor carried on staring at me, his body rigid. I felt like his eyes were burning holes into mine and he was looking right through to my soul.
Then he spoke.

"It's too late."

No, no, no. My stomach sank. I had ruined it all. Of course he wouldn't have been fine with it; it would have been weird. I could have simply hidden my true feelings. It was probably just a crush anyway. I guess I had to live with my  mistakes.

Connor froze the video call so I could only hear him. Thoughts ran through my head. Connor had had a hard time lately, who knows what he could do? His door clicked shut and my heart stopped. I sat there for at least 10 minutes with no sound from him. It was then I remembered I was home alone and all I could see were shadows sculpting eerie figures. I needed Connor to calm my nerves with his soothing voice. I needed Connor to warm my heart with his cutesy looks.

There was a tap coming from downstairs and I wrapped a blanket around my body to drown out the sound. It wouldn't stop so I plucked up the courage to go downstairs. The noise was coming from the front door. Who in their right mind would have be knocking on someone's door at 3am? Unless...

"Troye, please let me in" Straight away, I knew it was definitely him. I gripped the handle and gingerly opened the door to reveal him standing there, damp from the rain. Shadows from the dim light in the corner settled on his cheekbones. The butterflies in my stomach flew in circles. My mind instantly thought that Connor came all the way, half asleep, to humiliate me, to rub it in. Boy, was I wrong. Blue locked with green and I let out a shaky sigh. Connor took a slow step closer, and closer, until our foreheads touched. My warm breath mingled with his and I tasted the mint. He tenderly pressed his cold lips to mine.

I had finally gotten my heartbreak boy.