thirty five - A Show

[A/N] okay... wtf... I just hit 15k reads... What? As a thank you I'm updating this slightly longer chapter early. How good am I to you guys? ;)

Troye woke with a shock. The alarm on his phone was going off very loudly. He checked the time as he turned it off; it was half ten in the morning. Kayla was still peacefully sleeping, to his right, however, he realised that Connor wasn't on the other side. It was then his mind finally joined his body and woke up, remembering it was his birthday. A slight frown creeped up on his face. Connor was always there for birthday kisses. Troye unlocked his phone and saw a message from him, that said he had gone on a walk. Troye knew how Connor loved early morning walks, not that you could call ten o'clock early, but this time it did seem rather suspicious.

Groggily making his way to the bathroom, Troye trailed his feet along the soft carpet. Following close behind was Kayla. Troye stood at the mirror and rested his weight on the countertop. His daughter couldn't quite see over the top, so he lifted her up and sat her on the edge, her legs swinging. Troye picked up his toothbrush handed Kayla hers, then began brushing his teeth. He absolutely hated morning breath. Fumbling with the nearly empty tube of toothpaste, he squeezed some onto his own brush, then a small pea sized amount onto Kayla's. She mimicked her father's actions, brushing side to side and up and down. Troye's concentration moved from himself to Kayla, watching intently to see if she got every pearly white tooth. He used his spare hand to ruffle her messy, dark, hair.

Troye couldn't wait for the time to come when his little girl, with chubby cheeks, grew into a beautiful young lady but, like all parents, he dreaded it all the same. He didn't want to have to be consoling her when some heartless kid broke her heart, or when her group of cliquey girls fell out with her over a stupid little fight. He didn't want her to 'fall in love' with someone she barely knows while she's still 14 and think they're going to have a fairytale ending, all for it to end in tears. However, he couldn't wait for her to fall in love, slowly but surely, with her best friend and for them to build many happy memories together, just the way he did with his love.

Even more so, he couldn't wait to expand their small family.

/ / /

Troye did up the last couple buttons on Kayla's dungarees. He pulled down her long sleeves and lay down on the bed, with her by his side. Scanning around, Troye looked for the remote so he could put on a movie for them to watch. It wasn't anywhere near. He spotted it on the dresser by the door and got up to get it, rolling his eyes. As he came closer, Troye noticed a sheet of folded paper taped to the door. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and gently tugged at it until it came loose in his hands. Flicking the sheet open, his eyes glanced over the note.

'Be at the canal side for 12. Look for the pink ballon, oh, and dress cute ;)'

Troye quickly checked the time; 11:15. Great, he thought to himself. He still had time to get ready for whatever this was. Troye silently thanked whatever was watching over him that he saw the note in time.

"Kay, we're going to find Daddy. Let's get dressed," He swooped her up in his arms and spun her around, earning a giggle from his daughter.

"I'm ready papa, look." She looked down at her chest.

"You can wear a pretty dress." He added, placing her down next to the suitcases. Kayla's eyes lit up as she seemed to go deep into thought, deciding on which princess she wanted to transform into today. Her little pink tongue poked out from her lips as she made the decision. Troye laughed to himself and hoped that whatever was at the canalside wasn't too fancy.

/ / /

Okay, it was fancy. Troye walked down this narrow path with Kayla settled on his hip. She had a light blue dress on, that was supposed to be Elsa, the princess every little girl secretly wants to be. Most of the world moved on from the frozen stage, but not Kayla. She still loved the sparkles and outfits that came with her Elsa persona, especially the plaits Troye had struggled to learn from his sister. The pair came across a wooden bench, looking out onto the waters of the canal and the rows of quaint little shops on the other side, and he saw the baby pink ballon tied to one of the slats. Another note hung from the string. This time it wasn't a plan white colour: the paper was a pastel blue, contrasting against but, in a way, matching the balloon. Troye quickly unfolded the note with one hand, as the other was still clutching Kayla.

'Sit. Be patient, my love,' Troye let out a sigh. He couldn't wait to see his fiancée. Although he was excited for whatever Connor had lined up, right then, all he wanted was the comfort of Connor himself; he would gladly take just a hug at the moment.

Troye did what the note said and sat on the bench, popping Kayla next to him. He was about to speak when she started singing a little tune from her brain so Troye stopped himself, not wanting to interrupt her.

/ / /

A couple quaint canal boats came and go, leaving elegant trails in the still water. Troye still sat in the bench, waiting patiently, hoping that whatever Connor had planned would be worth it. Well, anything would be worth it as long as he got to wrap his arms around Connor, like the way he had been dreaming about all day. Troye began to reminisce about all of the memories they had built together. Their relationship had been going strong for nearly 6 years and Troye didn't regret a single thing. Now, he's glad Connor heard him sing. There's no way he would have been able to pluck up the courage to confess his feelings otherwise.

A pair of warm hands abruptly interrupted Troye's thoughts as they cupped his eyes, putting him into total darkness.

"Daddy!" Kayla giggled, unintentionally ruining the surprise.

Troye whipped around, his eyes meeting with the comforting green ones that belonged to Connor. He shot up off of the bench so fast that Connor wasn't prepared for the passionate hug. Troye threw his weight onto Connor, clinging on for dear life, which caused Connor to stumble a little, but he regained his balance. The two stood for a while, basking in each others familiar scents, until Connor prised Troye away.

"Happy Birthday, beautiful." He gently pressed his lips against Troye's. Troye began to slip his tongue through Connor's lips but Connor stopped his by pulling away.

"It's okay to kiss in public; it's not okay to create a show, calm yourself, birthday boy." He teased, picking up the box he had placed down beside Kayla, without Troye noticing. It was plain white with the shape of a pizza box, being quite flat. He held it out to Troye.

"Open it."

Troye fumbled with the edge and slowly lifted it. It opened like a pizza box too.

He didn't know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't that.

A single, tiny card lay inside, about the size of a business card. Troye looked up at Connor, who's smile was enough to light the world, then back at the card. He picked it up and closely read the bold print.

Janet Matthews, Adoption Services.

Troye's jaw dropped and tears filled his eyes.

"Really?" He clasped his hand over his mouth, in shock.

"I guess so."

"Are you sure you're ready?"

"I've got a couple months." Connor lightly chuckled, drawing circles on Kayla's arm as she stood up on the bench, watching her fathers. Suddenly, Troye leaned in and whispered in his lover's ear.

"I think they're ready for a show."