twenty one - I Guess Not

[A/N] Special 900 word chapter for you lovely people because this part is coming to an end.

// c o n n o r //

Two months to go until graduation and the posters for prom started popping up around school. Usually, I wouldn't have bothered with a stupid social event like prom but something inside of me wanted to go. What did I have to lose? It seemed like fun so I had decided that I was going to mention it to Troye. The posters were plastered on every hallway and they weren't hard to miss, however each time we walked past one Troye wouldn't even bat an eyelid. I made the desicion that then wasn't the time nor place to mention it.

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that, since Troye was definitely the dominant one, if he wanted to go then he would ask me. So I walked. Every now and then, I would drop subtle hints about dates and stuff but he didn't ever show signs of thinking about it. I was beginning to get disheartened.

Troye texted me earlier in the week about going on a date. I agreed, excited to be doing that with him. The moment he mentioned that it would be special, my spirits lifted. I kept thinking would it be the time he asked? Getting ready for our trip to the mall (which didn't seem very special to me) I spent a good twenty minutes psyching myself up, trying not to get overwhelmed with the thoughts of 'this is the night.'

The familiar knock of the door caused me to fly down the stairs. I kept it casual with black skinny jeans and a maroon sweater with a white button up underneath. I opened the door to reveal a grinning Troye waiting patiently outside. I looked him up and down, my eyes lingering as I took in every last detail. He had dark fitted jeans on and a patterned shirt, topped with a black coat. I must have been staring for longer than I should have because Troye awkwardly coughed and said hi. I shot him a smile and stepped outside, joining him, taking his hand to lead him to the car.

'So...' I asked, childishly 'Are you planning on telling me where we're going?'

Without turning to face me, he shook his head.

'Please?' I pouted, batting my eyes.

'By the way I need to pick something up for my mom so can you go and get us a table while I'm doing that?' He asked me, ignoring my pleas. Thinking how sweet he was and how lucky I was to have him, I nodded.

Sitting alone in the deserted food court with enough food for three, I patiently waited for Troye. I had ordered anything and everything that looked good although I knew we wouldn't eat all of it. A few lonely minutes later, he appeared, a tiny delicate bag in hand. Spotting me, he walked over. The logo on his bag came into view and my eyes widened.

'Treating mommy, are we?'

'Uh, yeah. It's her uh, anniversary next week' That boy really couldn't lie to me.

Throughout the date, the atmosphere was so tense, it was choking me. Conversation was hard to keep and we spoke about nothing but, unlike usual, I didn't find it intriguing or remotely interesting. I couldn't seem to push away the feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was the feeling where you can tell that something is wrong but you just can't tell what it is. Though both awkward, we managed to keep it together without arguing or something like that.

Just like the rest of our evening, the ride home was... uneventful. No matter how bad of a mood I was in, the small glimmer of hope still rested inside of me, however that was shattered once we parted ways at my doorstep.

'Wait.' Troye sighed. I spun on my heels, key still in lock. I tried to not let my hopes up.

'I know something's up with you, please tell me.' My mood hit rock bottom. He didn't want to ask me. If he did, he would have by now. He had the perfect scenario set up and everything.

'Nothing, don't worry.' I cold heartedly snapped.

'Connor.' He took a step closer.

'Fine. I really thought that tonight was the night.' Troye seemed confused. 'Prom! I'm talking about Prom!' My voice raised; Troye backed up. 'I really thought you would ask me.'

'Give me a chance! Of course I was going to! Just not tonight. Tonight was the preparation. It was my plan to give you what you deserved.' He produced a long chain with a discreet charm from the bag. 'This necklace was for you, for prom, but I guess it's not needed anymore.' Tossing it to the side, he walked down the path. I couldn't form words.

I could only muster up the courage to shout 'No!' Troye carried on walking. Walking the opposite way to where he should have gone, he turned down the street. I physically couldn't move. I was rooted to the spot. My eyes followed him until the tears clouded over. Speckles of darkness covered the street ahead and the sensation in my legs drifted away. They crumbled from beneath me, smashing the back of my skull off of the ground.