thirty three - Paris

[A/N] I haven't update in 2 weeks whoops.

A gust of cold air hit them as the took their first steps off of the warm airplane. It was a fairly windy day in Paris, which Connor hadn't come prepared for. He had figured that it would be hot outside since it was summer, but boy was he wrong. A few rain droplets rested on the windows on the airport. Troye, who wasn't even aware of the flight until a few hours prior, was fine, dressed in a sweater and jeans. Meanwhile, Kayla happily skipped along, cotton dress swinging above her ankles and cardigan slipping off her shoulders.

'I'm so glad she's used to flying now.' Connor stated, hauling their hand luggage along.

'Yeah, it would have been absolute hell if she was crying the whole time, like that other kid, for the whole flight.' Running his hand through his hair, Troye guided the family through the bustling airport and into the long queue of other holiday makers waiting to make it through security.

'You do realise that, if she did that, I would have locked myself in the bathroom for the whole time?.' He chuckled. 'There's no way I'd be the one with the screaming child.'

'That's a lie. You'd miss me too much.' Connor teased.

'I guess I could wear headphones.' Troye shrugged his shoulders.

After milling about in the organised crowd for a good while, they had finally made it through, to collect their suitcases.

'The big grey thing starts spinning round. See, it's starting to moved.' Connor was crouched down to Kayla's height as he explained to her how it all worked, even though she would probably forget by the time they were back home. 'Then our suitcases are sent up that hole.' He pointed to the turn in the conveyor belt. 'Our suitcases spin round until they reach us and then we can pull them off.'

'-We have to look out for them because if you miss them then the suitcase troll will eat up all of our stuff.' Troye added in.

'Papa, where's the troll?' She looked up to Troye, inquisitively.

'He's sleeping at the moment but if you miss your stuff then he will be ready on the other end, behind that barrier.' He told her. Kayla believed every word, just as a three year old would, and peeked around Connor to try and get a glimpse of the so called "troll", but kept a tight grip on Troye's leg.

A red case came into view, followed by two more identical ones. Reaching out, Connor grabbed two and dragged them off, whilst Troye caught the other. They rolled the suitcases away to a quieter space.

'I'll take these two so you can carry Kay.' Connor told Troye, looking down for Kayla, who was no where to be seen.

'Where is she?' He frantically asked.

Right ther-' Troye stopped mid sentence once his eyes saw an empty space where his daughter should have been. 'She was there a second ago. I swear, Con. I only took my eyes off of her for one second.' He promised, heart beating hard and fast.

Connkr dropped the luggage and raced back to where they were before. What if she's been taken? He thought. What if she's hurt? Paris is such a big place for a little girl.

She wasn't standing where they last saw her so Connor started asking the other passengers, with Troye following close behind. His black converse squealed against the floor with every step.

'Excuse me, have you seen a little girl with really dark hair and big, brown eyes?' Connor tapped on the shoulder of an older lady.

'Is she your daughter?' The woman asked in reply, as Troye joined Connor.

'Yes, her name is Kayla.' He told her, only looking for a simple yes or no answer. The lady eyed him up and down, then switched to Troye.

'I'm guessing she's yours as well?' She said, after what felt like an age.

Troye impatiently nodded, shifting his weight from one foot to another. Instead of answering their initial question, the lady turned around, looping her arm through the man who was by her side's arm.

'You see, this is why you don't give the gays babies.' She muttered, shuffling away.

'And this is why they need better security in the retirement homes.' Troye mumbled back, quietly enough so only Connor could hear.

'You can't blame her. She was "brought up that way"' Connor mocked, half heartedly laughing before his mind flickered back to their missing daughter.

'Okay,' he began, the rising panic evident in his voice. 'If you want to go back to our bags, hopefully they're all still there. I'll ask more people. Alone, this time.' Deciding to split up, Troye made his way back to their luggage, asking people if they had seen Kayla, along the way. Anxiety levels rising, Troye hauled the whole family's suitcases nearer to where Connor had headed - where Kayla was last seen. His stomach was in knots. He felt 100% to blame. By now, Troye was struggling to hold back the tears.

He looked around, but couldn't locate Connor in the crowd that was now dispersing. Fishing through one of the bags, Troye found his phone.

'Con, where are you?' He asked, voice shaking.

'I've gone to the security office, they're getting someone who speaks English so I don't know how long they'll be.' Connor informed him, sounding extremely drained.

Troye skimmed his eyes across the now nearly empty airport, until they landed on a hallway marked "security."

'I'm on my way, I love you.' He began dragging everything in direction of the office.

'Love you too, bye' Connor hung up, leaning back in the hard, plastic chair. He had been waiting to actually have a proper conversation with someone who spoke English, because none of them seemed to be on duty that day. Finally, a man came through the doors followed by a flustered Troye. Troye dropped their suitcases and flung himself into Connor's arms.

'I'm so sorry, Con,' Troye whispered into Connor's ear. 'This is all my fault.'

'No, no, no, Troye. It's not.' He lied through his teeth. He was mad. Of course he was mad. But Troye didn't need to feel worse that he already did.

'But what if she's gone?' Troye sobbed.

'Who's gone?' A sweet voice called out. They whipped around to face Kayla, who was holding hands with a woman in security attire. Troye and Connor rushed to their daughter, holding her tighter than ever.

'Where did you go?' Connor sternly asked.

'I was looking for the suitcase troll.'

---

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while. Time has flew by and I didn't even realise.
But a lot has happened in the past couple weeks. First Wild played on the radio, then the #WildWorldPremier trended in the UK so I tweeted it to Troye AND HE FAVED THEN FOLLOWED ME FKDOSKAKA (@ticklingtronnor)
Then Wild was released and it's so good, I've it on repeat since it came out, whoops.