Complications

In my life, I have been to very few weddings. The idea of 'till death do us part' is always so strange to me. Growing up in the world today, you are surrounded by divorce and separation, insurance fraud and domestic abuse. Marriage doesn't end with death, and many who aren't religious get married. 

As a little girl, I would imagine a big white wedding, with roses and fairy lights. The smiling faces of my family as I danced the father-daughter dance, the first dance, and every dance there is to do. I wish I could of seen Lou, and Jo and Rina get married. I wish I met the baby Rina and Amelia were due to have. 

I remember the day Rina told me she was using donor sperm to have the child she always wanted. My oldest and last living sister didn't even make it to the first scan of her unborn child. 

And once again, it is my fault...

Today, I know what it is I have to do. The only way I can get justice for the family I have lost, and the friends who have suffered. I just pray that they will understand that everything I do, I do for them. 

And I hope that Leon will understand, because if not, God only knows what he will do. 

"Liv?" A knock at my bedroom door snapped me out of my daze. 

"Come in." Doing as I said, Luca walked inside the room. The look on his face was concerned as his eyes met mine. 

"Did you get any sleep?" In reality, I did not. The knowledge of what is to come this evening is haunting my every minute. 

"Not really." I answered truthfully.

Sighing, Luca stood at Logan's side of the bed, and crawled in beneath the sheets. Tugging me towards him, he let my head lay on his chest as he let out, steady, slow breaths. 

"Get some sleep. I'll wake you when we need to get ready."

Setting in the arms of my big brother, I drifted off to sleep; driving away the knowledge of the coming hours. 

It felt like only minutes had gone by when I woke, but in reality it had been seven hours. Luca had shook me awake, and told me it was time to get dressed for this ball. 

Only our family had been invited, so it didn't take a genius to figure out that it was a trap. The moment I realised who our enemy was, I kept it quiet, and told only Theo. After all these years, we never even considered them to be on our list. It was as if they vanished before us, and we had no recollection of the person they were. 

The dress I was a deadly black, ironically. The dress had a low V neckline that ended just above my navel, long black sleeves and a thigh slit that went all the way up to the hip, compared to the remaining fabric pooling at my feet. 

After strapping on my matte black heels, I left the room and headed downstairs. In the foyer was all of my brothers, Logan, Carlos, Leon and Gabrielle with the additional guards. All of them suited for the evening, except Gabrielle and Leon who were headed to a safe house. 

"Leon." Reaching forward, I took his little hand and guided him through to the kitchen away from everyone else. 

"Mama." He smiled up at me. 

How I'll miss those little eyes. That gorgeous smile I adore to see every day. The smirk that graces his lips so often. For my little boy is the light of my life, and I will do anything to keep him safe. He will not have a childhood filled with death like myself. 

"I need you to promise me something." I told him. At the sound of my voice, his once playful face became serious and understanding. "You have to listen to Daddy, and all of your uncles and your Abuela. Everything they say, you must do. Everything they say till the moment you become the boss is what I want; to keep you safe and happy."

"What's going on Mama?" His green eyes began to pool, his lip quivering in fear. 

"I have a job to do, something that will save the family." I told him, bringing him down for a hug. 

Moments passed, till he looked up at me with eyes identical to my own. "I promise."

With that I gave him the most loving hug I had ever given, and kissed the top of his head. Guiding him back over to Gabrielle, the look I saw in her eyes instantly told me she knew of my plans. But she kept quiet, because deep down, she would do the same for her children. 

"Lets go." Vito said, opening the front door. 

As we piled into the car, I decided last minute I wanted Luca to stay behind as extra security for Leon. There is no one I could trust more to watch Leon, and that is saying something since Theo is behind me. 

"I'll go with the guards at the front, the rest of you go into cars." I said.

As I went to close the door of the SUV, Logan sat down beside me. "What are you doing?" I tried my best to remain calm. If Logan came in the car with me, my plan would be ruined. 

"I thought I'd ride with you." He smiled, fastening his seatbelt and telling the driver to go. 

Taking deep breaths, I tried to relax as he leaned against the window. 

When we got to the highway, the three cars behind us went down another slip road, driving them into the other direction. Logan started turning around, searching for the cars. 

"Are we going in the wrong direction?" He asked the driver, confusion and worry painting his face. 

"No." The driver answered. 

Logan then turned to me with waiting eyes. "They are the ones going the wrong way." I told him. 

"Why?" Logan questioned. 

"You weren't supposed to be there." Was all I said. "Now you're going to die with me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This book is coming to an end, so expect regular updates. And I am think on a spin off series called sunrise which could possibly have a some characters from this book, probably making the series a sequel. -Sreader2014