12.

mike still visited el at the hospital, keeping up his traditions by getting el new flowers.

he walked in, smiling when he saw she was awake but was staring out the window with no expression on her face.

"hi," he said, "i got you some new flowers," he said, exchanging the old ones.

"they didn't die,"

"oh, i'm sorry. i'll put them back in if you like.. i was just used to getting you new flowers each day.."

she adverted her gaze to the ground. "who are you?"

he turned, concern written all over his face. "mike?"

"but who are you? you're.. you're here. only you have visited me.. are you my boyfriend?" she asked and he shook his head.

he wished.

"no, i'm.. just a friend. your dad also visited but you were asleep. he should come by after work," he told her and she fiddled around with the sheets.

"i don't want to see him,"

"why not?" his brows furrowed.

"i don't remember anything.." she stumbled over her words, trying to find the correct terms. "i don't want to.. disappoint— make him sad like you were. i'm sorry i don't remember you.."

he walked over to the bed and sat down on the chair. "you didn't make me sad and you won't disappoint him either. actually, you never met him before."

"oh?"

"yeah, he tried to find you for years and once he did, you were well, in a coma. he's so excited to see you, el. there's nothing to be afraid of," he assured her as she frowned.

"i'm sorry,"

"hey, it's okay," he smiled and told her. "let's just get to know each other again when you're ready. right now, you should eat some lunch,"

she shook her head gently. "i'm not hungry,"

he looked down to hide his frown. "take a bite, at least? i.. i even got you a lollipop.. you used to love those," he said. but one day i never saw you with one again.

"lollipop," she murmured, "flavour?" her head tilted as she sat up, moving back a little with some hair covering her face.

"cola,"

her shaky hand reached out and he gently placed it on her palm, touching her gently, making her jolt.

"sorry," he quickly said and she just blinked and looked at the candy closely. "i liked these?"

he nodded. "i always saw you with cola so..."

"thank.. thank you," she mumbled out and he smiled widely and nodded.

remembering he was here take some of his stuff home, he opened the drawer and took out the books and other stuff.

"what's that?" she asked curiously.

"this?" he held up an art book and she shook her head and pointed at the novel they were almost done with.

"oh, it's just a book i read to you.. it's nothing, i'll take everything ho—"

"what's it about?"

he stopped and looked up at her with the most hopeful smile. "well there's this girl who thought her boyfriend was dead.. but apparently he wasn't and was secretly watching her this whole time—" he stopped when the door barged open.

"el!" max smiled widely as el moved back and looked at mike.

"max," mike said in a warning tone.

"oh my god, you're awake! you're—" mike stood up, grabbing her arm and also shoving dustin and lucas out of the room.