39.

el laughed throwing her head back in disbelief. "there's no way i live with you, wheeler," she shook her head as biscuit hugged onto her, her tail moving around.

"well you do," he said and she gave him a pointed look. "there's no way!"

"well believe it or not, you loved me a lot," he said and handed her a taco.

she only stared at the paper plate as he set it down.

"what's wrong? you love tacos," he stated gently as she continued to stare at it. "tacos are fat,"

he gently smiled. "fat? i like you a little chubby then," he tapped her cheek. "come on, you love 'em. please, just a little bite."

she frowned but bit into it quickly, biscuit perking up to try and take a bite.

"biscuit no," mike took her off el's lap as she hissed.

el placed the taco down. "can i.. not finish this?"

he smiled sadly, trying his best to mask the sadness. "sure, sure. but you gotta eat dinner tonight. you can pick, i'll get you anything,"

she nodded slowly and sank down on the bed to pull the covers up and over her head.

just as she did so, a little wince escaped her and he instantly went up to her in concern. "what's wrong?"

"nothing. just a little pain," she mumbled like she didn't want to talk about it.

"head?" he asked as she nodded slowly. "i'm okay. can i sleep?"

"sure, of course. get some rest," he said and went to close the blinds for her. "i'll wake you in two hours for dinner," he said and was about to head for the door but she spoke up.

"where are you going?"

he turned. "what do you mean?"

"you're not going to stay?"

"did you want me to?" he asked then headed back to the bed. "i will if you want me to,"

she nodded slowly, like she was shy to admit the fact.

he sat back down as biscuit curled up in his grasp. "would you like biscuit to keep you company?"

she nodded again. "yes, please."

he smiled and opened the blanket to place biscuit in, laying the animal in front of el for her to hug.

"mike," she whispered quietly as he hummed. "yes?"

"is my sister okay?"

he smiled at her. "yes. yes, she's doing okay,"

"well, where is she?"

he waited a moment before responding. "your parents took her away from hawkins after your incident." he then gently brushed her hair. "get some rest now,"

she barely nodded before her eyes closed and her mind had drifted off once again.

"what are you doing?" mike asked as el scribbled in a notepad provided by the hospital. "designing something," she mumbled.

"science related?" he asked and she nodded slowly.

biscuit roamed the room, jumping on all sorts of things before landing on the window still to lay in the small beam of sunlight.

he smiled at biscuit, giving her a little pet before the door opened.

el looked up at the sound, her head titling in confusion at the sight of the people in front of her.