epilogue.

5 YEARS LATER

el swayed on her feet, hugging her 8 month old to her chest with one hand as she made sandwiches with the other.

her son babbled in her arms, sighing as he tried to lean closer to her.

"you're waking up, precious?" el whispered, setting the toasted sandwich on the plate as he whined.

el placed her other hand on his back, stroking him up and down to soothe him. "i know. being a baby is very hard, right? harder than mommy's courses at oxford," she mumbled, going to set the plate on the dining table before she went to open the slide door to the backyard.

after her and mike got married, she did her undergrad (graduating earlier) then her masters (also graduated earlier because she was so ahead) and then she was now moving to her phd.

"time for lunch," she told her daughter who was only 3 years old.

instantly, her daughter ran up to her, slinging her arms around el's legs. "hi mommy,"

"hi, my love." el laughed, tapping her chin as she tilted her head up. "mommy, can i eat in front of the tv?"

"lyra, honey, i don't want you to spill everything like last time," she said calmly to her daughter and a pout quickly settled on her face.

lyra; a small constellation, a principal star vega in the solar system.

of course they wanted to name their children something either to do with science or the solar system.

after looking through a bunch of options, they settled on lyra.

then, when el was pregnant with her second born, they knew they wanted his name to be connected to the solar system too.

which is why he is named; nysa.

nysa; a group of asteroids in the main belt.

of course no one knew the meaning behind their names. some even thought it was silly because both names weren't feminine or masculine.

but mike and el didn't care. they loved the names and they were both certain their children would love it too.

"but mommy! i promise i won't!" her daughter exclaimed. "i promise!" her words were still slurred and a bit like babbles.

el sighed, leaning down to kiss her hair. "alright then. take your plate and set it on the table in front of the tv. be very careful,"

lyra smiled a wide one, running over to the dining table to grab the plate before setting it down on the small table in between the couch and television.

el cradled nysa in her arms, walked over to the couch and set him down next to lyra who was now eating her sandwich and watching tv.

"when's daddy coming home?" lyra asked impatiently. "why does he have to work today? it's not fair!"

"because daddy is responsible," el tapped her cheek. "and he needed to go fix something," she said as lyra huffed, a frown on her face.

el smiled, snapping a picture of both nysa and lyra and quickly sent it over to mike.

my love/baby daddy/science partner 🫀🧪

attachment 2 image: