{13}

IT HAD been two weeks since Graham's untimely death. Mary Margaret And I had tried to make sure Emma was okay, that she was getting better.

She seemed better now, better than before when I'd found her crying over his body. The doctors said it was from natural causes, but that didn't sit right with me.

He just happened to die after he broke up with Regina? I felt as if she was involved in it somehow.

Emma never said anything, but I know she felt the same. If only I could prove it. But it wouldn't do any good. Regina was the mayor of this town. And she controlled everything.

I sighed as I walked into Golds shop. It had been a long day.

"Gold! Are you here?" I called as I walked to the back. "In here!" He called and I entered the back of his shop only to smell a terrible smell. "Gross what is that?" I asked, placing a hand over my nose.

"Gold! Are you in here?" I heard Emma call as well. "Well it is my shop." Gold said quietly and I grinned. Emma walked in and I smiled at her.

"Whoa! What is that?" She asked, covering her nose too.

"This is lanolin. Used for waterproofing." Gold told her and I exchanged a disgusted glance with Emma. "It smells like livestock." Emma complained and I nodded. "Well, it is the reason why sheep's wool repels water." Gold said.

"It stinks. Uh- if there was a reason you wanted to talk the Sheriffs Department, can we talk about it, outside?" Emma asked and Gold grinned, ripping off his gloves and standing up.

We walked into the front of the shop. "I just wanted to express my condolences really. The Sheriff was a good man." Gold said kindly and I felt my heart soften. Emma looked upset for a fleeting second, then her indifferent mask came back.

"You're still wearing the Deputy's badge." Gold said, looking down at the badge pinned to Emma's belt. "Well, he's been gone two weeks now. And I believe that after two weeks of acting as Sheriff, the job becomes yours." Gold informed Emma.

Emma glanced at me and I noticed she looked scared. I guess she didn't want to have everyone depending on her as the Sheriff. I didn't really blame her. Plus, Emma didn't seem like the person to depend on other people. So how could she expect people to depend on her as well?

"You'll have to wear the real badge." Gold told her. "Yeah. I guess. I'm just not in a hurry." Emma said, looking uncomfortable. She was probably tired of talking about Graham, possibly because she didn't want to relive her sadness about his death.

"So. Thank you for the kind words." Emma said and turned to walk off. "I have his things." Gold said suddenly and Emma whirled around. "What?" She asked. I could tell she was trying to pretend like nothing had happened with Graham. As if she didn't have feelings for him.

"The Sheriff. He rented an apartment that I own." Gold said, walking over to a box. "Another reason for my call. I wanted to offer you a keepsake." Gold said and I felt myself soften towards him again.

"I don't need anything." Emma said and I winced. "As you wish. I'll give them to Mayor Mills." Gold said and I rolled my eyes. "Like hell you will." I muttered and walked over to the box, taking off the top. "It seems like Mayor Mills was the closest thing he had to family." Gold said and I had an inkling he was trying to goad Emma into taking something.

"I'm not sure about that." Emma said harshly, walking over to the box. "No love lost there, I see." Gold said and I smirked.

"Emma, please. Everything here is going to get thrown out, and I know you must want something." I pleaded and she sighed. Gold pulled Graham's jacket from the box. "Look his jacket." Gold said and Emma shook her head.