{34}

I walked slowly behind the others as we approached the village, or 'haven' as Cora called it. "I don't know if I can do this. I'm not a very good liar." Aurora said and Snow glanced back at her. 

"Well, it's not really a lie, Aurora. Lancelot did die and honorable death and Cora did escape. All true. Just... leave the particulars to us. There's no reason to cause unnecessary panic among your people." Snow assured Aurora, who didn't look convinced. "I'm not so sure it's unnecessary..." 

She trailed off as Mulan drew her sword and stepped in front of us. "Wait! The tower. We always have sentries guarding the entrance. Stay close." She told us, walking forward slowly. 

I felt myself become nauseous at the sight before me. There were bodies scattered on the village dirt, each one with their hearts ripped out. I felt myself become sick as I realized who the killer was. "Oh my God." Emma murmured, taking in the gruesome sight.  

"This can't be. Our land, it was protected. How did the ogres find us?" Mulan asked, also taking in the loss of townspeople she probably knew. "Ogres didn't do this." I said sadly, and Mulan looked over at me. 

"What?" She asked and Snow sighed, looking saddened at the bodies. "Cora did. Their hearts, they were ripped out. This was her magic. It's twisted and evil. We have to stop her." Snow said and Mulan shook her head. 

"It's too late. She killed them. Killed them all." Mulan muttered. "I'm sorry for your loss." I told Mulan, who merely nodded. "We still have to stop her before she hurts anyone else." Snow argued, just as I heard something. 

"Hey, look." Emma said, and I saw a hand peering from the bodies. Emma and I immediately reached down and helped to free the man. The man was handsome with striking features and dark hair. "Please." He pleaded, looking at all of us. I noticed he was missing a hand.

"It's okay." Aurora assured him. "Please help me." The man repeated, looking distressed. A little too distressed for my taste. Almost like it was an act. 

"It's okay. You're safe now, we won't hurt you." Snow assured him and he nodded gratefully. "Thank you." 

A few minutes later, Emma, Mulan and I went to fetch the mysterious man a glass of water. Snow and Aurora stayed behind with him. "You have seen him before?" Emma asked Mulan, and I was glad she seemed as doubtful as I was about him. 

"Yes, I've seen him around. He's a blacksmith. He came to our camp a couple of months ago. Said he lost his hand in an ogre attack." Mulan explained. "Why would Cora leave a survivor? It's messy, it doesn't make sense." Emma argued and I nodded. 

"You think he's lying?" Emma asked me and I sighed. "I'd like to say no, but that's not possible. He doesn't seem genuine." I told her. 

"I think you're right. Besides, neither of our little 'superpowers' have failed us before." Emma replied and Mulan looked confused. "Superpower?" She questioned and I smiled. 

"Emma has a sense when someone is lying. So do I, but sometimes I have a stronger instinct about things. It's never been wrong." I explained and she quirked an eyebrow. "Well, let's hope they don't fail you this time." 

We made it to the table where the man was now sitting at. "Here you go." Emma said, handing him the cup of water. "I can't think you enough for your kindness. Fortune, it seems, has seen fit to show me favor." The man told us. I sent a quick glace Snow's way, and she raised her eyebrows. 

"An island full of corpses. You're the only one to escape. How exactly did that happen?" Emma asked him, her tone bordering politeness. 

"She attacked at night... slaughtered everyone in one fell swoop. When she started ripping out people's hearts, I hid under the bodies of those who had already been killed. Pretended to be dead myself. Must be the ruse worked." He told us.