{19}

I OPENED my eyes suddenly, jumping from my bed. For once, I didn't have a dream of another world. In fact, I don't think I had a dream at all.

I hurriedly got dressed in the usual for this time of year- sweater, jeans and a red beanie. I took extra time braiding my hair into small intricate braids, then tying each of those into a huge braid itself. I really only did this to distract myself.

I was trying very valiantly not to remember last night, where I'd told Gold it was a mistake to fall in love with him. I'm still not entirely sure if I meant it or not.

The truth was, I still loved him and probably would always love him, but he wasn't ever going to fully let me in. I sighed and shrugged into my coat and boots, forcing myself to stop thinking about Gold.

I found Emma downstairs, already drinking her coffee. "Hey." I called and she swiveled to smile at me. The smile looked concerned, possibly she'd heard me yelling at Gold. Or him yelling at me. I'd lost track of who yelled more.

"Hey, Claire." Emma said as I sat on the stool beside her. "Hey, Em." I replied casually. There was something I wanted to ask her, but then again I shouldn't even be worrying about-

"Gold." Emma said and I jumped startled. "What the hell? Can you read minds?" I asked her and she scoffed. "Please, that's so Twilight. And you just said his name, so I was repeating it. Are you zoning out or something?" Emma remarked and I shrugged.

"Or something." I said and she grinned. Finally I couldn't take the cheerful banner anymore. "I told Gold falling in love with him was a mistake!" I said loudly.

Emma glanced at me with a shocked expression.

"Um. Wow." She said quickly.

"Did you mean it?" Emma asked me. I glanced down at my ring and twirled it on my finger. "I don't know. That's the thing about him. He makes me so-" I trailed off, not even having words to describe how Gold made me feel.

Emma gave me a knowing look. I had enough and sighed. "Enough about me. What's in your agenda today?" I asked and Emma smirked. "I'm heading to Granny's. Mary Margaret says she wants to talk to us about something. Wanna come along?" She asked me and I nodded, grateful for the distraction.

We made our way out of the apartment and onto the street.

As we reached Granny's, I noticed a motorcycle parked out front. Emma gave it a weird look as we turned the corner, only to come face to face with the owner himself. The handsome writer.

He still hasn't revealed so much as his name, only that he was a writer and came here for inspiration. Personally, if I was a writer, I'd be going places like the Great Pyramids or Paris for inspiration. I definitely wouldn't come to Storybrooke, Maine.

"I've been meaning to bump into you." The stranger said, a smile on his face. "Matter of fact, I was hoping we might grab that drink you promised." He continued and I smirked at Emma.

"Is that you asking me out?" Emma asked him with her eyebrows raised. Oh, to have Emma's confidence.

"If putting a label on it makes you more comfortable, sure, let's call it a date." The man said and I hid my smile beneath my hand.

"I thought you came here write. To find inspiration." Emma stated with a slight smile on her face. I think she might even like the guy.

"Well, I'm optimistic about our date." He replied. He sure was quick with the comebacks.

"See, I have a policy. I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. I find it weeds out the ones who like to keep secrets. Like they're already married or store body parts in their freezer."Emma said and I laughed.